New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #421
hungrymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxesOfEvil View Post
I got my Danby 8.7CF DCFM246WDD chest freezer today, and it is the perfect 'little' big keezer.
As I estimated, it actually holds 6 ball-locks on the floor and 2 on the hump with no problem (they slide in easy, it isn't a tight fit, but there's not much extra space front-to-back either). You can put 5-gallon cornies on the floor and 3-gallon cornies on the hump, and the lid closes without a shim (but it's close, and I am not sure if it would do so once you hook up the lines)

Actual dimensions:
overall: 17-5/16"deep x 36-9/16"wide x 25" tall
hump: 17-5/16"deep x 7-3/4" wide x 9" high
floor: 17-5/16"deep x 28-13/16"
So I was an inch off on the width, and an inch off on my estimate of the hump-size, so I can't say whether it'll hold 2 pin-locks front-to-back. If someone has a trace of the footprint of one, I could try mapping it out to see if they'll fit.

I just looked online, they have the 8.8 for $350, and the 8.7 for $269. The 8.7 is online exclusive, and out of stock.

I would wait for it to come back, if it can fit 6 on the floor. I am at the tipping point of buying a Kenmore 8.8. I have to go down to sears tommorow and see how many I can fit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #422
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrymonkey View Post
I just looked online, they have the 8.8 for $350, and the 8.7 for $269. The 8.7 is online exclusive, and out of stock.

I would wait for it to come back, if it can fit 6 on the floor. I am at the tipping point of buying a Kenmore 8.8. I have to go down to sears tommorow and see how many I can fit.
The Danby online exclusives aren't eligible for 10% off or free shipping too. I was going to buy the Danby 10.2 for $299, but it was $55 shipping. The Maytag 14.8 was $399 - 10% off for $359 and free shipping. So very similar price for 4+ extra cu ft.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #423
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwagner23 View Post
mmonacel, quick question. It says five sided coils. Does this mean there are coils on the top? I was actually looking to purchase this exact model sometime in early 2012.

Sorry - just saw this. No, it doesn't appear that the lid has any coils. There are no lines running from the main freezer body to the lid and the lid itself sounds hollow when knocking on it from the underside. It's most certainly just styrofoam and the plastic lining up there. I'm guessing the 5th side is the floor.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #424
rwagner23
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. After posting that I looked harder at the pics you posted and smacked myself in the head for being an idiot.

That is definitely the freezer I'm getting, just gonna have to wait till after Christmas.

Keg Aging:
Bottles:Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Irish Red

Old 10-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #425
mmonacel
Recipes 

No problem. I've heard of them being tucked in through the hinges sometimes for those that do run to the top so I double-checked for you. Looks clear. Enjoy!

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #426
FEARDIZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

deleted

Primary - Lumpy Dog Brown, Little Sumpin Sumpin

Secondary 1,2,3 -
Bottle conditioning : Apfelwein, Some Oatmeal type summer stout , 3 floyds alpha king clone

Drinking : Centennial Blonde, AHS Anny Blonde Rye

RIP: AHS 20th Anny IPA, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone "Black Sunday Stout"

Planning On Deck -

Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #427
almander
Recipes 

Default Maytag 14.8 Price Drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel View Post
Adding another one to the list.
Maytag 14.8
Model # MQC1552TEW
Internet # 202867507
Store SO SKU # 624458

Fits 9 ball locks on the floor comfortably and a 5# bottle on the corner hump. Easy to tweak the thermostat so you don't need a controller for keezer use. It retails for $399 at Home Depot at the moment, but I ordered a 10% off Lowes coupon from eBay to use (HD will accept them) and got it down to about $385 after tax which is nice. It's an Energy Star appliance as well so it runs pretty cheap and you might even get a tax break!

EDIT: Looks like there's an "internet sale" on this right now for $359. Note that they also have free shipping and installation so you don't need to haul the thing down to your basement as well as free removal of your old appliance. You might need to call your local store to arrange this. Even though it's relatively light when empty, I highly suggest letting someone else do the work...
Update this is now 313.00 with the above mentioned free home delivery, setup, and haul away! While supplies last.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #428
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 264

This is a great deal, but I am going to hold out until black friday deals. I should be able to slowly piece together the rest of my outfit by then.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #429
mmonacel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by almander View Post
Update this is now 313.00 with the above mentioned free home delivery, setup, and haul away! While supplies last.
Holy crap that's a great deal!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #430
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel View Post
Holy crap that's a great deal!
I was in HD today and saw this on display and they accepted a 25 dollar Lowes coupon I had. Got it for 300 after tax delivered. The appliance guy said when the prices go down like this, they're usually trying to replace the product with a different version.

Quick Reply