Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #31
kgahan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lowe's Keezer Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsay View Post
I also have the 5.0 cu. ft. from Lowes. Here's a pictures with 3 kegs, 5# CO2, and bottles down below.

(I know it's a duplicate, just wanted a pic of this model with 3 kegs in it, nothing against jcdillin's pic, which shows the hump quite nicely, as well as another option for configuration!)
Hi all, I am about to embark on a keezer build. I bought 2 cornies plus a 10# steel CO2 tank plus regulator on craigslist for $100. I would like to fit 3 kegs in the smallest freezer possible with room for tank. Just like jcdillins and the above setup.

The Holiday freezer looks perfect and cheap but the Lowes site says it is 27" deep. I was hoping to have it sit under a counter in our small kitchen and that would make it stick out some - kind of annoying. Is it really that deep?

Also, my CO2 tank is 23 inches tall. Will it fit on the hump?

For now, I plan on just keeping the picnic faucets coiled in the freezer but in the future maybe a tower or do a collar thingy like this guy:

CHEST FREEZER Vs. KEG-O-RATOR - Keg Beer Dispensing Discussion Forum - Kegerator

If I go the above route is there a simple way to shut the beer lines off at or near the faucets so that the kids (toddlers) aren't dispensing beer on the floor? I am thinking about the kind of hardware you see under the sink or even those things you see on IV tubes.

Lastly, do you think I could just replace the lid with a piece of butcher block countertop from IKEA. I have a big piece leftover when I replaced the counters in the kitchen. I would maybe protect the underside with some laminate and add weatherstripping. The countertop is close to 2" thick and heavy. Would the hinge support it when open?

Thanks for any help!

Kate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #32
TexasStu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgahan View Post
Hi all, I am about to embark on a keezer build. I bought 2 cornies plus a 10# steel CO2 tank plus regulator on craigslist for $100. I would like to fit 3 kegs in the smallest freezer possible with room for tank. Just like jcdillins and the above setup.
For now, until you build a collar so you can move your tank outside the freezer (IF I were you) I would just do 2 cornies and the tank inside the freezer. After all, you only have 2 cornies (so far), right?

Quote:
...Also, my CO2 tank is 23 inches tall. Will it fit on the hump?
Nope!
Your CO2 tank is the same height as a cornie (5 gal.) keg. (see pic of keg sizes on page 1 of this thread).

Quote:
For now, I plan on just keeping the picnic faucets coiled in the freezer but in the future maybe a tower or do a collar thingy like this guy:

CHEST FREEZER Vs. KEG-O-RATOR - Keg Beer Dispensing Discussion Forum - Kegerator

If I go the above route is there a simple way to shut the beer lines off at or near the faucets so that the kids (toddlers) aren't dispensing beer on the floor? I am thinking about the kind of hardware you see under the sink or even those things you see on IV tubes.
They make 'tap locks' you could buy (Examples HERE and they are not cheap but some of the designs are pretty ingenious). You could also install a shutoff valve just inside the collar of each tap but you might have a foamy couple of ounces on your first pour of the evening (after each time you turn it back on).

Quote:
Lastly, do you think I could just replace the lid with a piece of butcher block countertop from IKEA. I have a big piece leftover when I replaced the counters in the kitchen. I would maybe protect the underside with some laminate and add weatherstripping. The countertop is close to 2" thick and heavy. Would the hinge support it when open?

Thanks for any help!

Kate
You might have to use a stick to hold it up (barring some counter-weight DIY project?) but I can't answer whether it will hold cold or not. Although, I'd probably add a thin (waterproof) layer of foam-type insulation (IF it were me). I would be tempted to keep the lid intact (even if raising it with a collar) and rig up something to unitize the butcherblock to the lid?

I would think using a fridge and some kind of tower setup (set back on the counter) would be what you are looking for. Something to have an uninterrupted countertop with loading/unloading from the front (rather than top). YMMV!

Owner/Operator of Stupour Brewing

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Coopers Australian Pale Ale
Secondary Keg (room temp.):
Kegged:
Bottled: AHS Blue Moon Belgian White
On Deck: "Cascading Coopers Pale Ale"
& All-In! Winner's Choice Pale Ale.
2009 Total gallons = 53

Old 02-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #33
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
For what it's worth, i used to have the 8.9 and then upgraded to the 14.8. It can actually hold 9 cornies (snugly) if you're willing to remove those runners they install to hold the plastic baskets (which I was more than willing to do).

Attachment 9454
I'm looking at buying the 8.9 and was wondering if you know if 10 pound tank will fit inside with 5 cornys or only a 5 pounder?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #34
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwig View Post
I'm looking at buying the 8.9 and was wondering if you know if 10 pound tank will fit inside with 5 cornys or only a 5 pounder?
I'm pretty sure a 10# tank will fit on the compressor hump if you install a collar.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #35
RBChallenger
Recipes 

Anyone have any idea how many ball locks this would hold? I am looking to do 5-6 cornies with a 10# tank (do ireally need a 10# tank to run all 5 or can I get away with a 5#?). Any help would be greatly appreciated as it would appear to be a pretty good deal I can get on it. Thanks!!!

Regards,
Rich

Primary 1: Watermelon Wheat Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Secondary 1: Alaskan Amber
Secondary 2: Air
Secondary 3: Air

Bottled: Foggy Haze Hefeweizen (ver 1.0)
Planned: Chocolate Mint Oatmeal Stout, EdWort's Apfelwein

Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #36
TexasStu
Recipes 

I have the Kenmore 8.8 (?) freezer, installed a 10" collar and can easily fit a 20# CO2 tank on the hump, 4 cornies in the 'hole' with room for bottles.
I'll take some pics in a few days and post one here. A work in progress but I'm coming up to a stopping point that will illustrate what I want to illustrate. Still awaiting a few shank->beerline parts before I drill the collar and install the drip tray.

Kegged:
2009 Total gallons = 53

Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #37
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just picked up the kenmore 8.8 this weekend. It's narrow, so you are only going to get 4 kegs on the main part. I'm guessing that with a collar and a shelf extending off the hump you could get about 6 in there. I'm mounting my CO2 on the outside so that I can use the hump for beer storage and a conditioning place for at least 1-2 kegs.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #38
TexasStu
Recipes 

Default Kenmore 8.8 cu.ft. Keezer (10" collar)

Yes, it's rather skinny. Plenty of height with a tall enough collar but not sure wide enough for 2 (on hump) without some extension (or at least a safety harness? ).

Plenty of room for a 20# CO2 tank with triple regulators with a 10" collar! As well as twenty 24oz. bottles without stacking/cramming.
The lower collar keeps the 10" collar and R4 sheathing solid (1"x4" on sides and in back and 8" on front to support the 19.5" stainless drain tray). Long shanks are a pain but will refrigerate through the insulation (at least that is the plan!)
Had to splice in a couple feet of a power cord to the lid but pretty simple with a few wire nuts.
It's a work in progress so excuse the extra picnic taps, etc.
The 5"x7" pic holders on the lid will be for labelling faucets.

Kegged:
2009 Total gallons = 53

Last edited by TexasStu; 02-20-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: added link to tank/regulator pic

Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 AM   #39
JBooze
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm new to brewing and hope to keg some day. My question is, won't the beer freeze if you are keeping it in a freezer?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #40
TexasStu
Recipes 

If you do not use a temperature controller, yes.
You plug the freezer into a temperature controller, pug the controller into the outlet and put the thermocouple in the freezer. The freezer then will only come on when the temp. gets to what you set (20-80 degrees I believe?) and it will cool down 3-4 degrees then the freezer will turn off I have mine set for 39F.
Check out the Kegging FAQs!

Kegged:
2009 Total gallons = 53

Quick Reply