Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #331
Changeduser123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhochman View Post
Have to think about this. I'll probably do a taller collar and keep the original lid. That puts the thickness closer to two inches to be sure it's sturdy. Do I still need to insulate at that thickness? Of course, if I do insulate I could cut bigger holes in the insulation at the faucet locations and stick with a smaller shank. How much of the shank needs to stick out the front to accommodate the faucet?
The reasons why I kept 1x8 instead of 2x8 are:
* I used pine which is sturdy enough.
* the 2x8 selection at the local home depot was not really good looking. It was construction wood. It would have required a lot of sanding, and I do not have any power tools other than a drill.
* I wanted the collar to be light enough to be supported by the original hinges of the freezer. After trying, it hold fine, but I am not sure using 2x10 in your case will be light enough. It was important for me to be able to put a keg inside the freezer without having to carry it over the collar, so double hinges was a requirement.

I am pretty sure that if I had used 1x10 pine it would be sturdy enough. I used metal hardware (in a L shape) plus glue to attach the different pieces, and it feels strong. You noticed the front piece is a door, so it would be even stronger if it was part of the collar.

For the insulation, I am sure you could get away without it, but your freezer might not like it on the long run. It is cheap to add, and it keeps air AND moisture out.

For the shank size, I am not sure were the 5 1/8 is measured. But I am sure you can ask whatever homebrew store you will get your parts from to help you decide on the size that will fit your design.

Mathieu

Holiday 5 cu feet red keezer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #332
barrooze
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKaiBrewing View Post
I am looking for a freezer that will fit cornies in this configuration. are there other 7.2 freezers that will work for 6 cornies with a collar like this one. 4 five gallons on the floor, and 2 three gallons on the hump? I cant seem to find the magic cheff 7.2 for sale anywhere.

Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. at Home Depot for $219

FYI, I have pin lock kegs and tried to put them in my Magic Chef 7.2 and found that these pictures represent the taller ball lock kegs. The dimensions of my pin lock kegs are 9" diameter, 22" tall. I can only fit 3 on the floor below the hump and 1 on the hump that will require a collar to use.

I hope this info helps you guys!
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (Belle Saison), Festbier (ECY15), BOSON Prime (Brett Oaked saiSON), Night Howl Pumpkin Ale Primary: None Souring: Sour Brown (ECY01), BOSON on Rhubarb On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Zombie Dust clone Updated: 2014/11/18
Untappd: barrooze

Old 05-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #333
rodd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKaiBrewing View Post
I am looking for a freezer that will fit cornies in this configuration. are there other 7.2 freezers that will work for 6 cornies with a collar like this one. 4 five gallons on the floor, and 2 three gallons on the hump? I cant seem to find the magic cheff 7.2 for sale anywhere.

Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. at Home Depot for $219
I got the Sunbeam 7.2 at Menards and it is identical. Sorry for the late reply.

Taking BYOB to a whole new level

Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #334
njrockpd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I found a Magic Chef 5.5 Freezer online. I want something big enough to put a few kegs in, but I also want the option of fitting a keg and a fermenter. I see that I would be able to fit the 2 cornys, but would I be able to fit one corny and a 6.5 gallon fermenter? I know I can't get all three, but if I could switch them out it would be worth it.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #335
mhochman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just got a holiday 5 from Lowes. This is the new model, which has the hump on the right side, from back to front. I checked at Home Depot and I'm almost positive this is the identical model to the GE 5. I thought these pictures would be helpful. No collar yet, as you can see, but clearly four ball locks fit in there without the tank. Also just under 8 inches off the hump for the two on the right. Will need a bigger collar than a 1x8, I think.

image-3211349554.jpg   image-1502472887.jpg   image-261637358.jpg  

Old 05-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #336
BrewAlchemy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Trying to find something that would fit maybe 4 ball locks and 1 6.5 carboy, gonna keep my CO2 outisde. Any recommendations? Preferably, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears as the sources.

When describing a decent beer I like to say "Happy, but not quite hilarious."

Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #337
thebeers54
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewAlchemy View Post
Trying to find something that would fit maybe 4 ball locks and 1 6.5 carboy, gonna keep my CO2 outisde. Any recommendations? Preferably, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears as the sources.
Try what others have done. Cut out cardboard templates for what you plan on putting in there and bring them down to the store and place them in the freezers. My guess is you will need at least a 7 cubic ft. or larger. Lowes seems to have the best deals in my area.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #338
Cbaddad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Does anyone have the Dandby 8.7 cu ft chest freezer that is available at home depot? I am thinking of grabbing this. How many carboys can fit in this. I am primarily going to use this as a fermentation chamber. Would like to be able to get 2 to 3 carboys and maybe a corny keg in this. I have looked through most of this thread and no one seems to have this so far.

Thanks in advance

Drink now or forever hold your peace

Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #339
bloussant
Recipes 

Default Westinghouse chest freezers?

Anyone own a Westinghouse. If so, what size? How many kegs fit? and have you had any problems with this freezer? Thanks, I'm looking at one on CL right now for $50

Bottled: notsohoppy IPA (failure)
Bottled: Cal Common Ale
Up Next: ? Suggestions welcome (something that ages well)

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #340
zodiak3000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 31

pictures are down. looking to pick one up this week. without scrolling through the entire thread, can the GE 7.0 fit cornys without a collar? the specs on the website say depth of 22", while it looks like some people are actually fitting the 23" corny with fittings. i want to fit 1 or 2 ball cornys , 1 fermenter, and 1 co2. can i fit this on the GE 7.0 without a collar?

Quick Reply