Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
chefmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

EdWort said he is changing servers... I am eagerly awaiting the return of all the pictures myself, as I am catching up on a lot of threads I missed.

I have a magic chef 10 cubic foot freezer that I got at a Home Depot Clearance center for $177 last year (edit after I rechecked what I paid). The stock rotates, but it is worth checking to see if there is one in your area. Here in Atlanta, it is down at Austell Rd and the East/West Connector in Austell. Some great deals, especially on appliances.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Reason: wrong price listed, rechecked info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I just picked up this Magic Chef 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezer and it will not hold 6 kegs as shown in the pic in the second post of this thread. It will hold 3 in the lower area and one on the shelf but you'll need about a 5" tall collar to put a regular 5-gal. corny with QDs on the shelf.

I wanted it to be able to hold 6 but...it was $40 and driven by an old lady on Sunday so it was still a good deal.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #23
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Frigidaire 14.8 cu ft freezer can hold 6 kegs and a betterbottle or 8 kegs with plenty of room for bottles and co2 tanks.

Hump not shown on the left side also.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #24
DeadDoc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
EdWort said he is changing servers... I am eagerly awaiting the return of all the pictures myself, as I am catching up on a lot of threads I missed.

I have a magic chef 10 cubic foot freezer that I got at a Home Depot Clearance center for $177 last year (edit after I rechecked what I paid). The stock rotates, but it is worth checking to see if there is one in your area. Here in Atlanta, it is down at Austell Rd and the East/West Connector in Austell. Some great deals, especially on appliances.
Hmm i forgot that was there.... I have been looking on CL. There is an aplliance Smart in Marietta that has up to 9cf for I think it was $229 or so. 7's and that for $129.

Insert Name Here Brew Club

Black Forest Brewery
My Keezer

Primary: Amarillo/Citra IRIPA
Secondary: - - -
Aging: - - -
Drinking: Witbier | 342 IPA | Hoppy Stout
Recently Kicked: Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #25
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
[SIZE=3]GE 7.0 cu. ft. at Sam's for $186.56

Whirlpool 8.9 cu. ft. at Lowes for $298

Whirlpool 14.8 cu. ft. at Lowes for $398

For what it's worth, i used to have the 8.9 and then upgraded to the 14.8. It can actually hold 9 cornies (snugly) if you're willing to remove those runners they install to hold the plastic baskets (which I was more than willing to do).

chest_bigger_2.jpg

Old 01-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #26
hokster
Recipes 

SpanishCastleAle:

Really? I can get 4 reasonably easily into the non-compressor area of my MagicChef 7.2. I'm sure you're right about needing a huge collar to fit cornies on the hump, though; I figure I'll just keep the CO2 tank/bottles there.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #27
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just purchased the Magic Chef 7.2 last week.
Fits 4 easy peasy, and 2 more on the hump with a collar. Really, there is no reason you could have to not build a collar. For the space and energy use, the 7.2 is great, AND it can hold 6!

Are you certain you have the 7.2 and not the 5.5 or something? Mine is laid out exactly like the pic on page 1.

RussH Likes This 
Old 01-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #28
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

I dunno what to say then...I can't get the kegs to fit front-to-back...I have to stagger them and then I can only fit 3 on the floor...then I could stagger another on the step. It's def not the 5.5. It's the 7.2 Magic Chef sold at Home Depot (the lady said she got it at Home Depot about 2 years ago).

Are all 5 gallon corny kegs the same diameter? I only have two and they are pretty much identical...pin locks. I bought them used about 11 years ago.

I'll try to remember to take a pic and post it.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #29
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Pin locks are wider than ball locks.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #30
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Quote:
Pin locks are wider than ball locks.
Thanks remilard. Extremely pertinent info in a 'Sizing Your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs' thread imo.

Soon as I left the house I told myself I should have brought a keg. But I saw a picture on the internet! Assumption fail.

I wonder if I could fit one pin lock and one ball lock front-to-back? I really wanted to be able to have 4 kegs on tap plus two conditioning.

Quick Reply