The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #241
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

The Holiday 7.0 is down to $179.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_73849-33112-...ntity_sold%7C1

I'm going to grab one on the way home.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #242
Eisendrath
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using a dorm fridge I converted for holding two cornies. I want to move to 4 or 6 on tap. I have no issue with 2-250 fo rthe freezer. I have a personal problem spendign 60 on a new thermostat. Does anybody have any idea on how to "adjust" the thermostat the freezer comes with? I'm looking at something similar tpo the magic chef 7.2 that holds 6.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #243
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisendrath View Post
I have a personal problem spendign 60 on a new thermostat. Does anybody have any idea on how to "adjust" the thermostat the freezer comes with? I'm looking at something similar tpo the magic chef 7.2 that holds 6.
I doubt it can be done without having to buy some sort of thermostat. You can of course use the cheaper aquarium thermostats. I think those are like 30 bucks.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #244
rmchair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have bought a generic temp controller from Chi company $39 that works great. Their shipping is a bit high, but if you are buying a corny or two it might work out.
I have also gotten the L&W thermo $30. It was an easy replacement for the freezer thermostat, but even at its highest setting is cooling too much, not sure why the range isn't better.
Third, I bought a used johnson controls off of ebay and hooked up an extention cord talked about extensively on here. Very easy, and works great. $25 Do some research to make sure you are getting the right model for the appropriate cooling range you want. Also, make sure you don't cut a decent two-prong cord, or cut your wife's laptop extension cord like I did.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #245
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
I see quite a few questions about the GE 7.0 cf from Home Depot (FCM7SUWW)...

It holds four on the floor if you aren't afraid to apply some torque. One on the hump and a 10# CO2 bottle. You need a tall collar though to get one on the hump.

Oh these are 8.5" ball lock kegs.
That looks exactly the same freezer as the Holiday model 73849 from Lowes for $179

Old 10-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #246
guy
Recipes 

I am currently looking at the Holiday 7.0 freezer, I am wanting to fit 2-3, 5 Gallon Ball Lock, Pepsi Style, Kegs and the C02 tank. I've read many of the postings but not certain if anyone has NOT built a collar for this? I not wanting to build the collar and assume I'll have to go with the tower system? Could someone please help me out? Thanks Guy

Old 10-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #247
ThompsonGunner
Recipes 

I too was adverse to building a collar and went with a dual tower. If I had to do it again, I think I'd go with the collar and individual taps. It's a pain to open the keezer and worry about being far enough from the wall so the tower doesn't hit. Plus to add another tap (3rd) I need to buy a second tower... do I get a dual or a triple (which tend to be overpriced)? This is all easier with the collar approach.

In summary, don't write off going with a collar. Many posters on this forum have photos of well executed collar solutions. Cheers

Old 10-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #248
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The holiday 7 will hold 3 cornys and a 20# tank no sweat - Without a collar.

Use a tower if you want. Or a coffin, or a collar. It's all just personal preference.
Look around here for the keezer build threads. There are a ton of very well documented builds of every design you can think of.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #249
Eisendrath
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Alternate thermostat approach - ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisendrath View Post
I've been using a dorm fridge I converted for holding two cornies. I want to move to 4 or 6 on tap. I have no issue with 2-250 fo rthe freezer. I have a personal problem spendign 60 on a new thermostat. Does anybody have any idea on how to "adjust" the thermostat the freezer comes with? I'm looking at something similar tpo the magic chef 7.2 that holds 6.
Has anybody tried this $13.00 approach:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is a universal refrigerator replacement thermostat. I would think it could be wired right in to the freezer in about 20 minutes replacing the existing thermostat.

Thoughts anyone ????

Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #250
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I looked over the thread as best I could, but didn't see a lot of mention of carboys. Anyone with a GE 7.0cf able to say how many kegs they can fit along with a 5-gallon carboy or Better Bottle?

I was considering a GE 9.0, but then I realized it'd be around the same price for a 7.0 for kegs, along with a separate 5.0 as a lagering chamber (aside from the cost of the 2nd temp controller.)

In the meantime though, I'm just curious if I'd be able to keg a couple beers in the same chamber with 1 carboy/Better Bottle. Thanks!

Quick Reply