New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #231
cedar_lake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_beer View Post
Quick question. Does anyone know how many ball lock kegs can fit into the Holiday 7' freezer @ Lowes? It appears to fit at least 4, however I can't see the hump in the pict and not sure how similar it is to the 5'.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_73849-33112-LCM070LC_4294857903_4294937087?productId=3042351&p l=1&currentURL=/pl_Chest%2BFreezers_4294857903_4294937087_

Its time to buy myself a b-day gift!
I just got one. Three fit just fine. I couldn't see a way to cram in a fourth, but it is close. I'm guessing five with a collar and gas on the outside.

I'm just happy to be drinking my beer cold for now. Many keezer mods are in the future though..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #232
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I see quite a few questions about the GE 7.0 cf from Home Depot (FCM7SUWW)...

It holds four on the floor if you aren't afraid to apply some torque. One on the hump and a 10# CO2 bottle. You need a tall collar though to get one on the hump.

Oh these are 8.5" ball lock kegs.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Last edited by TomSD; 08-31-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added keg type/size

Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #233
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Trying to decide between the GE 7.0 (Home Depot) and the Holiday 7.0 (Lowes)

GE is $198 but the bastards would charge $59 for delivery.

Holiday is $187, plus they'll take 10% off with a coupon I have, plus it's FREE delivery.

I have looked extensively at both of these... Is GE that much better than Holiday? I mean, this will all work out to like $90 cheaper for the Holiday. They look freakin' identical. Same measurements and design. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were made by the same company and branded differently.

Matter of fact, I don't know any better... Are they?!?!?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #234
pkincaid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok... my hubby asked what I wanted for x-mas and I told him I wanted my gift early, like halloween early, and i wanted a corny keg! He said ok! I'm trying to gather all the info I can, this thread is amazingly helpful.... Here comes the dumb question.... It's ok to put the CO2 tank in the cooler? ((I know I see them in the pics)) but operating them cold is no issue? I always thought they had to sitting outside the cooler.

Thanks guys!

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:RootbeerKegged ((Drinking))RootbeerUp Next: "Cream of Three Crops" Cream Ale, by BierMuncher

Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #235
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Really? They say free shipping on the website and it was free when I had mine shipped to me (like a month or so ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincaid View Post
Ok... my hubby asked what I wanted for x-mas and I told him I wanted my gift early, like halloween early, and i wanted a corny keg! He said ok! I'm trying to gather all the info I can, this thread is amazingly helpful.... Here comes the dumb question.... It's ok to put the CO2 tank in the cooler? ((I know I see them in the pics)) but operating them cold is no issue? I always thought they had to sitting outside the cooler.

Thanks guys!
You can do it either way... most do it inside. Just don't expect accurate readings on what is left in the tank since it'll appear to be low due to the temperature. Not a big deal really and most suggest taping over or removing the tank gauge so you aren't distracted by it, lol.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #236
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Trying to decide between the GE 7.0 (Home Depot) and the Holiday 7.0 (Lowes)

Holiday is $187, plus they'll take 10% off with a coupon I have, plus it's FREE delivery.

I have looked extensively at both of these... Is GE that much better than Holiday? I mean, this will all work out to like $90 cheaper for the Holiday. They look freakin' identical. Same measurements and design. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were made by the same company and branded differently.

Matter of fact, I don't know any better... Are they?!?!?
there are mainly three manufacturers that make all the chest freezers for all the brands, so it is not uncommon to see the same internals as well as very similar externals. i dont personally think one brand is any better than the next when all other factors are equal or nearly so.

The majority are manufactured by three companies: Frigidaire (owned by Electrolux), W.C. Wood (based in Canada) and Haier (based in China). Frigidaire makes freezers under the Frigidaire, Holiday and Gibson names, and along with Haier, makes some freezers for Kenmore and General Electric. W.C. Wood makes freezers for Amana, Magic Chef, some units for Maytag, Danby and Whirlpool. Haier makes freezers for GE, Kenmore, some units for Maytag and Amana in addition to selling some models under its own name.

i would not put my name to the above list, the parts and components are sort of a commodity so several suppliers or entirely new suppliers could be contributing to a particular model. needless to say however, if two brand models look alike, chances are very good they are nearly identical.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #237
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks rawlus... Great info!

Bought the Holiday from Lowe's... $189 - 10% ($18.90) = $170.10 + tax.

It's being free delivered on Thursday morning.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #238
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I see that people have posted that you can put 3 kegs and a CO2 tank in the 5.0cu Holiday, but does anyone know whether I'd be able to do the same with the GE model

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Refrigerators-Freezers-Freezers-Chest/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zb9cg/R-100598976/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053.

There is no model in store for me to look at, so cant size it myself.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #239
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked_Eskimo View Post
I see that people have posted that you can put 3 kegs and a CO2 tank in the 5.0cu Holiday, but does anyone know whether I'd be able to do the same with the GE model

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Refrigerators-Freezers-Freezers-Chest/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zb9cg/R-100598976/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053.

There is no model in store for me to look at, so cant size it myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
GE 5.0 cu. ft. at Sam's Club for $151.73
With a collar it should work. I think that the one on the compressor needs moved to the other side than in the pic.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #240
Bixter1

Recipes 

This has to be the best thread on the internet ever

Quick Reply