HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #201
senorswiss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
I'm in the market for a four-on-the-floor freezer. I want a nice, easy fit for 4 ball-lock cornies on the floor.

The Magic Chef 7.2cu on the main page of this thread would be perfect, but I can't seem to find that one available anymore.

What models out there these days can accommodate?
The Sunbeam 7.2 at Menards - see here - will fit 4 ball locks without a collar. I currently have two ball locks and a slim quarter barrel on the floor in there. I got this freezer because it will fit a 1/2 barrel if I ever wanted that. I still installed a collar for a place to put taps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #202
rodd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorswiss View Post
The Sunbeam 7.2 at Menards - see here - will fit 4 ball locks without a collar. I currently have two ball locks and a slim quarter barrel on the floor in there. I got this freezer because it will fit a 1/2 barrel if I ever wanted that. I still installed a collar for a place to put taps.
Yep, I think it is identical to the Magic Chef. I have had 6 cornys in with collar, 4 on the floor. You can also fit two on the floor with a 1/6 or even 1/4 slim. Seems like it was made for soda kegs. One word of warning though, Coke kegs don't fit two deep, so you won't get 4 of those on the floor.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #203
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodd View Post
Yep, I think it is identical to the Magic Chef. I have had 6 cornys in with collar, 4 on the floor. You can also fit two on the floor with a 1/6 or even 1/4 slim. Seems like it was made for soda kegs. One word of warning though, Coke kegs don't fit two deep, so you won't get 4 of those on the floor.
This is great news! I've got Pepsi ball-locks so no issue there. My cornies appear to be exactly 8.5" in diameter. So, two smashed together would be exactly 17", which happens to be the depth measurement of the Sunbeam 7.2senorswiss reported earlier. I take it you had to 'shift' one row of kegs to get four on the floor? (So the kegs form a kind of parallelogram, but not a perfect square?)

Any chance you could post a birdseye pic of the inside? I'd like to see how snug it is in there.

For the record, another poster on here who owns the GE 7.0 claims it holds 4 ball-locks. He posted a pic to prove it. However, I've currently got that same model and it won't take all four. Not without smashing the 4th one down with a rubber mallet or something. I want four tappers flowing, but the GE 7.0 would force me to get too violent and I'm afraid of damaging the freezer.

Last edited by Judochop; 06-18-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #204
rodd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
I take it you had to 'shift' one row of kegs to get four on the floor? (So the kegs form a kind of parallelogram, but not a perfect square?)

Any chance you could post a birdseye pic of the inside? I'd like to see how snug it is in there.
Actually I am able to make a square, they fit in two deep, but there isn't much room to spare, if the kegs were a little bigger, there is room that you could offset. I don't have a picture of four on the floor, and right now I have 2 cornys and a tall 1/4 on the floor, but here is a pic of 3 on the floor that should give you a good idea.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #205
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodd View Post
Actually I am able to make a square, they fit in two deep, but there isn't much room to spare, if the kegs were a little bigger, there is room that you could offset. I don't have a picture of four on the floor, and right now I have 2 cornys and a tall 1/4 on the floor, but here is a pic of 3 on the floor that should give you a good idea.
Oh yeah. Should be no prob fitting 4 on the floor. Thanks for the pic!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #206
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Do you all monitor the temp with the temp adjustment provided on the unit or do you buy a separate temp monitor device for the freezers?

Thanks,

cp

Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #207
rmchair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You need a seperate device. You can order the johsnosn control from most brew stores, you can order the cheaper version from Chi company for an add on, or you can install a fridge thermostat. There is one from AHS or makeakegerator that just turns the freezer into a fridge for the most part. also a search of this forum will doubtless tell you how to rig one up.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #208
rmchair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

incidently, I could not manage to get 4 on the floor in the new Holiday 7.0, its close, and maybe if it could be forced in there, but I am not inclined to do that.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #209
twizted1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Several people have posted that the Frigidaire 9.0 cu ft from Lowes will hold 4 on the floor (the same freezer iirc is sold at Sears as a Frigidaire 8.8 cu ft). I've got all of my stuff together for a keezer, but haven't started building it yet. Since I have all my kegs, I took the time to snap some pictures last night of the freezer loaded up.

(Click Images for full size)

It will hold 4 on the floor (all kegs are ball lock kegs)

It doesn't work so well for number 5 though...

But a 20 lb CO2 tank fits quite nicely in that spot...

Fully loaded with 6 kegs, 1 20 lb CO2 bottle and 1 40cuft 75N 25CO2 bottle..

It's a tight fit, but it fits...

Old 07-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #210
opalko
Recipes 

Can anyone confirm how many pin-lock cornys the GE 7.0 or the Holiday 7.0 will hold? I need to be able to hold 4 and a 20# gas tank, but I guess the gas tank can go outside the freezer, right?

Cheers!

Quick Reply