Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Which site is right?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , The south
Posts: 761
Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Which site is right?

When I put the following info into four different priming sugar calculators I get different answers:
5 gallon ipa at 70*F with a desired co2 concentration of 2.4

Northern Brewer: 5.64oz dme
Brewers Friend: 7oz dme
KotMF: 7.11oz dme
Homebrewing: 5.04oz dme

Which one should I use? Which one do you use? And why are they different?

__________________

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

CBMbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jakenbacon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 513
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Default

Hmmm interesting.... I would at least recommend you use corn sugar over DME when you do indeed bottle....

__________________
jakenbacon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , The south
Posts: 761
Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Hmmm interesting.... I would at least recommend you use corn sugar over DME when you do indeed bottle....
Why is that? I have heard of people using both and I have always used dme.
__________________

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

CBMbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 9,884
Liked 1139 Times on 924 Posts

Default

While corn and table sugars are virtually 100% fermentable, DME is not, so you have to decide if that's a good thing or not...

Cheers!

__________________
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , The south
Posts: 761
Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
While corn and table sugars are virtually 100% fermentable, DME is not, so you have to decide if that's a good thing or not...

Cheers!
Right. Forgot about that. It seems dme can take a bit longer to carb as well. Also, corn and cane is cheaper!
Anyone have any insight as to what priming calculator to use? A 2 ounce difference seems like a lot...
__________________

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

CBMbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 16,187
Liked 3211 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
Right. Forgot about that. It seems dme can take a bit longer to carb as well. Also, corn and cane is cheaper!
Anyone have any insight as to what priming calculator to use? A 2 ounce difference seems like a lot...
The main reason you're getting different numbers is that the different calculators are using different estimates for the apparent attenuation of the DME. Different brands of DME have different attenuation, and would therefore require different amounts to achieve the same carbonation level. If you notice, the NB calculator has two different values for priming with DME, 5.64 oz, and 7.72 oz for Laaglander brand DME. The tasty brew priming calculator has three different amounts, based on DME's with three different AA's.

The calculators use slightly different equations and figures as well, so even using table sugar, which everyone assumes to have 100% AA, the figures won't agree completely. They won't be off by two ounces either though.
__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , The south
Posts: 761
Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
The main reason you're getting different numbers is that the different calculators are using different estimates for the apparent attenuation of the DME. Different brands of DME have different attenuation, and would therefore require different amounts to achieve the same carbonation level. If you notice, the NB calculator has two different values for priming with DME, 5.64 oz, and 7.72 oz for Laaglander brand DME. The tasty brew priming calculator has three different amounts, based on DME's with three different AA's.

The calculators use slightly different equations and figures as well, so even using table sugar, which everyone assumes to have 100% AA, the figures won't agree completely. They won't be off by two ounces either though.
Great. Thank you! They seem to all pretty much agree about cane and corn sugar.
__________________

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

CBMbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , The south
Posts: 761
Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

I've read that you should use less priming sugar when priming a keg. People say anything from 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and the full volume. What is the correct, most reliable amount?

__________________

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

CBMbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,680
Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer View Post
I've read that you should use less priming sugar when priming a keg. People say anything from 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and the full volume. What is the correct, most reliable amount?
In general, use 1/2 of the amount you would for bottling assuming that your keg is filled normally (not 1/2 full). For most people, that would be 2-2.5 ounces of corn sugar per 5 gallons.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
CBMbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: , The south
Posts: 761
Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Great! Thanks yoop.

__________________

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

CBMbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to site vineyardbmw Introductions 0 05-23-2013 02:06 AM
New to the site. JackODonnell Introductions 3 12-31-2012 02:56 PM
New to Site! Brewmeister30 Introductions 4 03-18-2009 01:11 PM
New to site bonham Introductions 4 04-19-2007 09:33 PM
Question about this site . . . (site admins) sonvolt General Beer Discussion 9 04-06-2006 02:41 AM