Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bottling/Kegging (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/)
-   -   Which site is right? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/site-right-420136/)

CBMbrewer 07-06-2013 05:20 PM

Which site is right?
 
When I put the following info into four different priming sugar calculators I get different answers:
5 gallon ipa at 70*F with a desired co2 concentration of 2.4

Northern Brewer: 5.64oz dme
Brewers Friend: 7oz dme
KotMF: 7.11oz dme
Homebrewing: 5.04oz dme

Which one should I use? Which one do you use? And why are they different?

jakenbacon 07-06-2013 05:26 PM

Hmmm interesting.... I would at least recommend you use corn sugar over DME when you do indeed bottle....

CBMbrewer 07-06-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Hmmm interesting.... I would at least recommend you use corn sugar over DME when you do indeed bottle....
Why is that? I have heard of people using both and I have always used dme.

day_trippr 07-06-2013 09:20 PM

While corn and table sugars are virtually 100% fermentable, DME is not, so you have to decide if that's a good thing or not...

Cheers!

CBMbrewer 07-06-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

While corn and table sugars are virtually 100% fermentable, DME is not, so you have to decide if that's a good thing or not...

Cheers!
Right. Forgot about that. It seems dme can take a bit longer to carb as well. Also, corn and cane is cheaper!
Anyone have any insight as to what priming calculator to use? A 2 ounce difference seems like a lot...

JuanMoore 07-06-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBMbrewer (Post 5329345)
Right. Forgot about that. It seems dme can take a bit longer to carb as well. Also, corn and cane is cheaper!
Anyone have any insight as to what priming calculator to use? A 2 ounce difference seems like a lot...

The main reason you're getting different numbers is that the different calculators are using different estimates for the apparent attenuation of the DME. Different brands of DME have different attenuation, and would therefore require different amounts to achieve the same carbonation level. If you notice, the NB calculator has two different values for priming with DME, 5.64 oz, and 7.72 oz for Laaglander brand DME. The tasty brew priming calculator has three different amounts, based on DME's with three different AA's.

The calculators use slightly different equations and figures as well, so even using table sugar, which everyone assumes to have 100% AA, the figures won't agree completely. They won't be off by two ounces either though.

CBMbrewer 07-07-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

The main reason you're getting different numbers is that the different calculators are using different estimates for the apparent attenuation of the DME. Different brands of DME have different attenuation, and would therefore require different amounts to achieve the same carbonation level. If you notice, the NB calculator has two different values for priming with DME, 5.64 oz, and 7.72 oz for Laaglander brand DME. The tasty brew priming calculator has three different amounts, based on DME's with three different AA's.

The calculators use slightly different equations and figures as well, so even using table sugar, which everyone assumes to have 100% AA, the figures won't agree completely. They won't be off by two ounces either though.
Great. Thank you! They seem to all pretty much agree about cane and corn sugar.

CBMbrewer 07-07-2013 08:22 PM

I've read that you should use less priming sugar when priming a keg. People say anything from 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and the full volume. What is the correct, most reliable amount?

Yooper 07-07-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBMbrewer (Post 5330992)
I've read that you should use less priming sugar when priming a keg. People say anything from 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and the full volume. What is the correct, most reliable amount?

In general, use 1/2 of the amount you would for bottling assuming that your keg is filled normally (not 1/2 full). For most people, that would be 2-2.5 ounces of corn sugar per 5 gallons.

CBMbrewer 07-08-2013 01:06 AM

Great! Thanks yoop.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.