Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Since switching to larger bottles - problems with carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
nikos121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Since switching to larger bottles - problems with carbonation?

My brother and I switched from 12oz bottles to growlers and 32oz swing tops. Well, the first 2 batches were flat - and were bottled in the growlers. We blamed the twist on caps that may have come loose during the carbonation process. Well, the last batch we popped last night - these were are new 32oz swing top bottles - same deal, lack of carbonation. Nothing to blame with the caps this time? Could it be that we need to wait longer before cracking? Any ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For carbonating in different size bottles. Here's the rules:

Stir priming solution with beer in a bucket before bottling. Stir periodicly while bottling.

After filling and sealing off bottles, store in a warm place. Temp should be 70 degrees.

Leave for 3 weeks. 2 if you must.

They should be good to go if you follow these rules.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

If a twist-off or fliptop is flat, try adding a couple carbonation drops and resealing it. A month should have been plenty of time, but I admit I've never tried carbonating in either type of bottle.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #4
nikos121
Recipes 

it had only been two weeks on the last batch and the ones before. Now realized the basement at my brothers is in the lower 60s and that is most likely the factor here. Called my bro and told him to toss a few under his pillow Ill have to say, bottling in the 32 oz flip tops are real easy, and just perfect for me on a night where two pints are just enough. Found with the growlers, if Im not with my bro, its a touch much.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #5
chicagobluesman
Recipes 

Default space at top

Make sure you gave yourself enough space at the top of the larger bottle for carbonation process.

I believe, the larger the bottle, the more space you need to leave.

Take a look at a commerical 22oz. vs. 12oz. there is a difference.

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
eolle
Recipes 

Default Right on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottT
For carbonating in different size bottles. Here's the rules:

Stir priming solution with beer in a bucket before bottling. Stir periodicly while bottling.

After filling and sealing off bottles, store in a warm place. Temp should be 70 degrees.

Leave for 3 weeks. 2 if you must.

They should be good to go if you follow these rules.
Good rules.

Also, if you are using flocculant yeast, laggering, or extended secondary add some extra yeast. If its fully fermented out...you can use any yeast for bottle conditioning. A highly flocculant yeast (ESB) works great to make a clear beer.

When all else fails....switch to force carbonation

-Eric

Old 11-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
PeatReek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolle
Also, if you are using flocculant yeast, laggering, or extended secondary add some extra yeast.
What's a good amount of yeast to pitch in this context to ensure enough activity to carbonate, but not get a ton of sludge at the bottom of the bottles? I'm thinking about just using one of those 6-gm. dry packs in a 5-gallon batch; that's only 1/8 gm per bottle, but then again I'm only adding 1-3 gm of sugar per bottle to prime so it seems like that little yeast might be enough.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
eolle
Recipes 

Default That will work...

Should be enough yeast. You don't need a lot of yeast....just enough healthy yeast to make sure you generate the CO2.

-Eric

Quick Reply