Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Show us your Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #601
toastermm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
-Can I put the Co2 in the freezer and plumb the lines into the fridge?
-Do you need a fancy distribution manifold or can you make one out of brass pipe and check valves?
-Should I get rid of the shelving on the inside of the door and put up some masonite?
these are questions that I would also like to know the answer to.

Bottled: Quad, Cherry Dubbel, Sour Brown, Flanders Red, 12-12-12 Wee Heavy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #602
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastermm View Post
these are questions that I would also like to know the answer to.
I PM'ed KellyL to post these and any questions he had in the equipment/sanitation thread; Keep an eye out for his post or please post your own. Thanks!

*EDIT* KellyL post- kegerator build questions */EDIT*

Last edited by MoRoToRiUm; 12-27-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #603
KeggieMaker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default A Kegerator I'm Proud Of

Here's a look at the kegerator I made some time ago. I chose a chest freezer as the foundation for the kegerator to keep things simple and compact. I learned that chest freezers maintain a more consistent temperature with the door open for any period of time, such as when I'm using my BeerGun to bottle from a keg. I chose the collar approach rather than a tower to keep things a little more simple. The tower can pose challenges in maintaining a consistent temperature to the faucet and affects ease of opening the lid and keeping it open. I'm opening the thing more than you might think... sometimes just to admire it!

I started with the Holiday 5.3 cu ft chest freezer from Lowes. I made the collar and rolling bottom tray from hardwood and painted them to compliment the freezer finish. No one can believe they are made from wood, they look like painted metal. The collar is mounted with a proprietary system I designed to make it easy to install and completely removable without any damage to the freezer. The freezer simply sits on the caster mounted bottom tray and lifts off if necessary.

I used pretty high quality components, including Vent-Matic faucets and stainless shanks with removable ends attached with wing nuts for easy removal for a thorough cleaning.

The CO2 distributor has an additional 4th port for other temporary uses even while there are three kegs attached. I also have a dual regulator setup, which allows me to push wine at a lower pressure through one of the faucets. It's all perfectly balanced with tubing lengths calculated to produce the perfect pour without an any excessive foaming.

A digital temp controller on the back and a nice big stainless drip tray on the front makes it all functional.

I'm curious if anyone thinks there a market for selling a collar and tray conversion kit comprised of what you see here without the freezer, CO2 bottle/regulator, kegs and drip tray? It would sure make putting a quality kegerator together a lot easier. Could make them to suit larger freezer models with more faucets as well. What do you all think?

Thanks.

Last edited by KeggieMaker; 12-29-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #604
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nice + very professional looking KeggieMaker! I prefer DIY but I'm sure there is a little bit of a niche market there between DIY and pre-built; Just not sure how much... Try a poll in the kegging or equipment/sanitation section to get a feel maybe?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #605
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeggieMaker View Post

I'm curious if anyone thinks there a market for selling a collar and tray conversion kit comprised of what you see here without the freezer, CO2 bottle/regulator, kegs and drip tray? It would sure make putting a quality kegerator together a lot easier. Could make them to suit larger freezer models with more faucets as well. What do you all think?

Thanks.
Yes. I will buy it immediately. I don't have time right now to mess with it, and couldn't do such a nice job anyway. Please PM me the cost and lead time for a 13.8 Kenmore.

Dimensions:
Height: 35 in.
Depth: 29-1/2 in.
Width: 48 in.

Thanks
KD

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #606
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeggieMaker View Post
Thanks.
I've had several people ask me to build them one like mine but once I tell them the cost (roughly $800 for all new parts including freezer for a 5 tap), they usually shy away. There is a market for homebrewers and beer lovers, but for the average person that doesn't need variety (the "I only drink Bud Light" crowd), there's not much. I had considered doing this on craigslist but gave up the notion when I realized how much I would have to charge...

Your method of selling everything but the freezer and doing it over the internet might be a very good idea though. The only problem I see is that there is still a lot of work involved with actually attaching it to the freezer.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #607
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I finally have pics! We've been working hard since summer finishing our basement. The kegerator is a Summit SBC490-BISSTB, which is basically a standard kegerator designed to fit completely built-in under a counter with zero clearance. Stainless tower from Keg Connection. Perlick faucets. The counter is black emerald pearl granite 18x26 tile and the backsplash is lightly tinted clear glass tile. I've been running soda water at 35 psi on the right and beer at 10 psi on the left.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #608
brewthunda
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

At night! We have Ikea LED lights in the cabinets that can be changed to any one of 7 different colors, or even cycle through colors, it's pretty cool.

My 2 year old, dangerously close to those taps! Heh. He loves getting daddy to pour him a pop (soda water in tiny little play cups).

Oh, and if you look at the very first picture above, you'll see a tiny white square below the left side of the door. That's a child safety strap designed for ovens and refrigerators, which is a bit tricky to open. My son can't open the fridge to mess around in there. If I'm worried that he's going to get up and start pulling tap handles (which hasn't happened yet), I can just pull the liquid couplers off the corneys and lock the door.

Last edited by brewthunda; 12-30-2008 at 03:23 PM.
justkev52 Likes This 
Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #609
sjvicker
Recipes 

wow, nice work. Is that a mini dishwasher next to the sink?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #610
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjvicker View Post
wow, nice work. Is that a mini dishwasher next to the sink?
The minidiswasher is sitting next to his taps

Quick Reply