Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Show us your Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #4021
Brewsit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So I'm not sure if anyone has done this one, and admittedly I did not scroll through the last 400 posts to see. I will claim this is unique unless someone points out a duplicate.

It was spurred on when I accidentally pierced a coolant line in my perfectly good Sanyo kegerator. I purchased this wine cooler at Lowe's, thinking that it had the space I needed for a two keg setup.

Instead of just having to pull the thermostat and tweak it (basically the opposite of the keezer thermostat mod), I shaved the inner walls, and carved out a keg-shaped hole to set a second keg further back, relocated the guts of the fridge about two inches back, formed the back section again with sheet metal and aluminum tape, and filled it back up with spray insulation. I also welded plastic panels in to the sides and back rounded section.

Was this more work than it needed to be? Yes. Could I have just waited until I found a Sanyo to redo the kegerator the way it was? Yes. Is this a completely ridiculous way to go about building a kegerator? Yes. Does it look cool? I think so.

It maintains any temperature I set it to, and I have been able to get it to freezing without much of a problem. Not bad for a wine cooler.

dsc_4512.jpg   dsc_4514.jpg   dsc_4902.jpg   dsc_4903.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #4022
TR34TM3NT
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsit View Post
So I'm not sure if anyone has done this one, and admittedly I did not scroll through the last 400 posts to see. I will claim this is unique unless someone points out a duplicate.

It was spurred on when I accidentally pierced a coolant line in my perfectly good Sanyo kegerator. I purchased this wine cooler at Lowe's, thinking that it had the space I needed for a two keg setup.

Instead of just having to pull the thermostat and tweak it (basically the opposite of the keezer thermostat mod), I shaved the inner walls, and carved out a keg-shaped hole to set a second keg further back, relocated the guts of the fridge about two inches back, formed the back section again with sheet metal and aluminum tape, and filled it back up with spray insulation. I also welded plastic panels in to the sides and back rounded section.

Was this more work than it needed to be? Yes. Could I have just waited until I found a Sanyo to redo the kegerator the way it was? Yes. Is this a completely ridiculous way to go about building a kegerator? Yes. Does it look cool? I think so.

It maintains any temperature I set it to, and I have been able to get it to freezing without much of a problem. Not bad for a wine cooler.
Nice job! Were you able to use the stock thermostat or did you have to completely replace it?

I recently did a wine/beverage cooler conversion myself: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/index392.html#post4487173

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #4023
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by themobbedmafia View Post
Just finished this up. I just gutted out an old cabinet record player and put a kegerator inside. Nothing makes a beer sound better!
That's a rad Charlie Patton portrait in the background. Oh, and the kegerator is very rad as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #4024
Brewsit
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR34TM3NT View Post
Nice job! Were you able to use the stock thermostat or did you have to completely replace it?

I recently did a wine/beverage cooler conversion myself: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/index392.html#post4487173
I like yours! Very sleek. I was able to use the stock thermostat, but turned the coarse adjustment screw almost to its limit.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #4025
JayStizzo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just finished mine today... Just in time to get a few batches ready for the holidays. Cant wait!

img_1590.jpg   img_1591.jpg   img_1589.jpg  

Primary: Hefeweizen, Red Razor IPA
Secondary: Blonde Ale
Bottled: Canadian Pilsner, Blackberry Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, Amber Ale

Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #4026
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 80

A few updated pics now that I have the collar on. I may paint the collar white to match...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #4027
Exception13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumos59 View Post
Now that's a great idea. Keep it in mind, thanks.

Cheers!

Chris

Old 12-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #4028
waterislife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsit View Post
Is that a Magic Chef cooler? I've got one myself and I'm having some difficulty finding any coils running across the top of mine (Model MCBC580DBT)

I've tried the corn starch trick, but haven't found anything.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #4029
waterislife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heh, guess what? Looks like many of these magic chef wine/beer coolers only have coils in the back and not in the top or sides. Makes cutting through less deadly, but still need to watch for the wires for the temperature controller and light that are mounted on the top inside of the cooler....

Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #4030
TR34TM3NT
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterislife

Is that a Magic Chef cooler? I've got one myself and I'm having some difficulty finding any coils running across the top of mine (Model MCBC580DBT)

I've tried the corn starch trick, but haven't found anything.
That's the same unit I used for my conversion (see my link in a few posts back).

No coils on top. Also, the wires go directly to the right from the center thermometer/light. You can drill right through the area behind the light with no issues, it's just insulation there.

Quick Reply