Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Show us your Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #3651
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

With the forward seal faucets, other than the spout itself, no internal part of the faucet that comes in contact with the beer is exposed to the air when the faucet is shut.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #3652
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Stainless steel construction vs chrome plated brass. Forward seal means they don't get sticky, gummy inside if you don't pull a beer for a while.

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #3653
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Oh.....So thats why I get hungover. It's the bacteria in my cheap faucets on my kegerator, and at 99.9999% of the bars I drink at. Phew, I just thought I was drinking to much.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3654
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Anyone care to elaborate? I'd be interested in a fuller explanation.
Sorry for the terse response, I was doing it on my iPhone. It's hard to find information, but this is from Perlick's catalog:
Quote:
The stainless steel Perl faucet is unique in both appearance and function.
It's revolutionary Perl ball and floating O-ring design eliminates the need for
a valve shaft. Internal parts are not exposed to air so the handle lever doesn't
stick and there is no build up of mold and bacteria in the faucet body. The Perl
faucet has fewer internal parts for better reliability and fewer service calls. A
polished interior produces a smooth flow with less foaming.
Here's a link to the catalog, http://www.perlick.com/pdf-files/Tapping-Catalog.pdf in which they also show some pictures/figures of the design.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 06-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #3655
wubears71

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dog_42 View Post
Finished up my kegerator earlier this month. Just today fixed the first problem (hopefully). The coils on the AC were freezing up. A little damp rid and some continuously running computer fans should do the trick though...I hate that the mirrors don't photograph well though. If anyone has any tips, I'll update this with better pics.

I know old post but dang that is sweet. I know wish I kept my 46807 instead of junking it for parts. Nice work.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #3656
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
Oh.....So thats why I get hungover. It's the bacteria in my cheap faucets on my kegerator, and at 99.9999% of the bars I drink at. Phew, I just thought I was drinking to much.
I sense your sarcasm in saying that "99.9999%" of bars use the same cheap faucets, so let's explain a bit further:

When you leave a faucet off for a long period of time, the beer clinging to all the internal surfaces (and outer, if you're particularly sloppy) stales, then dries, then attracts bacteria and even mold.
For the home user, this is a particular problem, since many leave their taps alone for days at a time, and even pulling just a few a day will cause the same problem.
Properly cleaning them will alleviate this problem, but with the cheaper taps, that means you should really clean them nearly DAILY.
Many bars do exactly that, but not all. Some do it weekly, some do it monthly, and some only do it when the health inspector MAKES THEM.
Forward sealing taps leave much less clinging to the insides, especially on complicated sealing mechanisms where things can really jam up, so they require much less frequent cleaning, and even if the spout itself gets FILTHY, a beer would still pour without a problem.

Plus, they're built better, with closer tolerances, and the most popular ones are the all steel models, versus the weaker brass, which may contribute off-flavors to beer that sits in it for long periods (again, especially for home-based kegerators), or corrode. Chrome plating helps some on the outside finish, but that will also eventually flake or otherwise wear away.

So yes, you are probably drinking a LOT of unwanted crap using cheap faucets unless you're taking excellent care of them, and you will get sticking issues from time to time.
If you don't mind all that, keep using them. More Perlicks for those of us who want them.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #3657
j1laskey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
I sense your sarcasm in saying that "99.9999%" of bars use the same cheap faucets, so let's explain a bit further:

When you leave a faucet off for a long period of time, the beer clinging to all the internal surfaces (and outer, if you're particularly sloppy) stales, then dries, then attracts bacteria and even mold.
For the home user, this is a particular problem, since many leave their taps alone for days at a time, and even pulling just a few a day will cause the same problem.
Properly cleaning them will alleviate this problem, but with the cheaper taps, that means you should really clean them nearly DAILY.
Many bars do exactly that, but not all. Some do it weekly, some do it monthly, and some only do it when the health inspector MAKES THEM.
Forward sealing taps leave much less clinging to the insides, especially on complicated sealing mechanisms where things can really jam up, so they require much less frequent cleaning, and even if the spout itself gets FILTHY, a beer would still pour without a problem.

Plus, they're built better, with closer tolerances, and the most popular ones are the all steel models, versus the weaker brass, which may contribute off-flavors to beer that sits in it for long periods (again, especially for home-based kegerators), or corrode. Chrome plating helps some on the outside finish, but that will also eventually flake or otherwise wear away.

So yes, you are probably drinking a LOT of unwanted crap using cheap faucets unless you're taking excellent care of them, and you will get sticking issues from time to time.
If you don't mind all that, keep using them. More Perlicks for those of us who want them.
Totally agree that sticky taps suck, and that is the only advantage to Perlicks. Most bars do not clean their taps daily, if not weekly, if not monthly and MOST BARS are not "craft beer" bars either. No one is getting sick from this "bacteria". So to use the term "sanitary" and "bacteria" is almost a scare tactic to sell a product. Colorox bleach does this daily. I want Perlicks just like I would want a Porche instead of a Corvette, it is more exotic.

Phew....I haven't vented in awhile...must be the bacteria in the beer I am drinking....
The Secretion Brewery

Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #3658
j1laskey
Recipes 

Actually.....I like the new Corvettes....sexy as hell...you could score mad chesty beefers in a Corvette.

The Secretion Brewery

Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #3659
RipeforYelp22
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrrkva
My 6 Perlick tap kegerator. Almost done.
Mrrrkva, that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Nice work! When I build up the bankroll to afford all the necessary equipment to build something like that, I'm hitting you up!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #3660
copyright1997
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey
Dude, the person asked why. I and others pointed out why we do do. No need to be sarcastic or piss on the parade.

For me, I had a non perlick as my first tap, and I've had it stick and be gunked up or numerous occasions. I managed to grab some Perlicks, and have never had a issue with them. I try to spend my money wisely and think they are the right decision. Quite frankly, I think it is more important to focus on ongoing costs, not the one time cost of the faucet.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Quick Reply