Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Show us your Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #2471
GusWatab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well here is my setup at the "Atwood Speakeasy". Not sure if you'd really consider it a kegerator so to speak but it is my means of dispensing. I have always ran commercial kegs through these but I have just found some vacant cornies in which I will start kegging the homebrew and serving that on tap. I am pretty pumped.

I have an old fridge in the storage room in which I drilled three holes in the side to push the lines through. Then I insulated the lines all the way up to the back of the 1/4 barrel hanging above the sink at the bar. Works out pretty slick for when I pump sanitizer through the lines. I just hook a hose up to the faucet and it drains into the sink or into a bucket if I want to reuse the sanitizer. The tap handle on the left is just a chunk of oak firewood in which I just shaved the bark off and sanded it down to the hardwood. Turned out pretty sweet and I have a few more in the process of being made. The 1/4 barrel picked up at the Barrel Mill in Avon MN and stained it. I then have some back lighting behind the barrel for effect. Next is to get rid of the pink bar top and put it granite. Oh the projects....

Here is the keg fridge. As you can see I have a very short run of lines through the wall into the bar area. I have insulated the lines and the shanks and am still trying to figure out a way to keep the lines cool for the entire run. Also you see the stacks of bottles that I reuse to bottle the brew.

Here is the bar area, "The Atwood Speakeasy" as I like to call it. You can see the door on the left goes to the storage room and the keg fridge is directly behind the taps. You can also see my "Vested Fermenter" on the back bar...you gotta love brewing in the MN Winters. You will also notice the "Beer Bank" which can sometimes help fund the next batch. If you're sitting at the bar enjoying a homebrew, toss a few bucks in the bank so we can keep the Epic Nectar flowing on a regular...

And lastly, a close up of the 1/4 barrel and taps.

I hope you like it...I sure do!!

Bottled - Quad Hop IPA, Fresh Hop Belgian White
On Deck - A Stout?
On the Turntable - George Harrison "Apple Jam"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #2472
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I love the barrel!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #2473
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrichead View Post
Finally finished

Dude, love these tap handles. Totally going to steal this idea

<innocent> By the way, what kind of rope did you use on those handles? </innocent>

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #2474
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Very Sweet Gus, Nice work

Kegged:DIPA,Pumpkin Stout,,Munich Helles, Chinook/Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA

Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:Mosaic IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck:APA,RIS,AB Clone

Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #2475
stanghead
Recipes 

Default My Kegarator

this is my Kegarator! it is currently setup for both stouts and ales (CO2/nitro and CO2)

its small, I can fit 4 - 5 gallon kegs in it and not much else - but i think it came out great.

the inside - I can configure 2 stouts and 2 Ales or 3 Ales and 1 stout. quick disconnects for easy access.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #2476
joety

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Gus, that is utterly fantastic. Where did you learn how to build the bar itself? I am struggling finding much good information on the internet.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #2477
electrichead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPoch View Post
Dude, love these tap handles. Totally going to steal this idea

<innocent> By the way, what kind of rope did you use on those handles? </innocent>
It is paracord. I get it from supplycaptain.com. Good prices, great selection of colors, and fast shipping. The black is a 5 bight 16 lead turks head, and the two color is a 4 bight 19 lead turks head.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #2478
GusWatab
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
Gus, that is utterly fantastic. Where did you learn how to build the bar itself? I am struggling finding much good information on the internet.
Thanks a lot Joety! I'm glad you like it. I didn't actually build the bar itself as it was here when we moved in 5-6 years ago (big bonus and the deal maker for me!) The barrel however was not. I certainly saw the opportunity to have tap beer in the basement with the wet bar/sink being right there and a big storage room on the other side of the wall. I always really liked the barrel with taps look and that is what I wanted to do so I started searching out a barrell in which I could cut the end off and hang it. Eventually I came across The Barrel Mill in Avon and picked that up for I think like $50-$60 or something. Then we had to figure out a way to get it to hang off of the wall so I could get some backlighting back there. After scratching a bald spot in my head I had a friend of mine with some creative construction backround brainstorm with me and we came up with this....

We took a 2x8 and made two 8x8 squares. The squares were then stacked and screwed to the inside of the barrel. We then had to build a box that attached to the studs on the wall. The box's ID needed to be 8 inches so that the stacked squares that are screwed to the inside of the barrell would slide into the box itself and act as a "Cleat". Then it was just a matter of putting a few screws through the box and into the cleat. It worked brilliantly and fit like a glove.

I wouldn't think the bar itself would be too hard to build as it is a pretty basic set up. There is some shelving and a cabinet on one side but other than that, pretty basic. I will be however having the bro build me a granite top for it probably out of some remnants and try to salvage the arm rail and put that over the granite. I may end up just having to buy a slab of granite and I would use the cutout on the back bar. That will be the next project as soon as the SWMBO gives me the go ahead...fun stuff!!
Bottled - Quad Hop IPA, Fresh Hop Belgian White
On Deck - A Stout?
On the Turntable - George Harrison "Apple Jam"

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #2479
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Stanghead, I see you have a controller on your fridge, is there a freezer compartment, does it control the freezer too or did you bypass it? just wondering

Old 03-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #2480
DanPoch

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrichead View Post
It is paracord. I get it from supplycaptain.com. Good prices, great selection of colors, and fast shipping. The black is a 5 bight 16 lead turks head, and the two color is a 4 bight 19 lead turks head.
Thanks for the info. I've got to give it a try. It's been years since I've tied a turks head.

Okay, that didn't sound quite right did it?

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Quick Reply