Should I swap a 20lb CO2 tank for a 5lb tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonuff

Reaction score
I received a 20lb CO2 tank for free. It's too big for my kegerator. I called airgas and they said they would swap a 20lb tank for a 5lb tank. Is that stupid? Is there a better alternative?

can't you put it outside? How about a 10 gal? I wouldn't downgrade unless it was absolutely necessary. And, if I had to, it better be more than a even exchange - 20lb for 5 lb.

Put a bulkhead in your kegerator and keep it outside. Keep it for purging kegs, purging bottles, carbonating, etc.

They should trade you a 5# with 5 free refills at least.

EdWort said:
Put a bulkhead in your kegerator and keep it outside. Keep it for purging kegs, purging bottles, carbonating, etc.

They should trade you a 5# with 5 free refills at least.

Not my choice but the tank will def. not be sitting outside the kegerator. I talked to airgas and all they were willing to do was a swap. Think it'd be better just to buy a 5lb tank and keep the 20lb for a backup?

EdWort said:
It will come in handy more often than you think.

Thanks Ed. Do you know the best place to get a tank? I tried Craigslist in my area and nothing.

rh348877 said:
Thanks Ed. Do you know the best place to get a tank? I tried Craigslist in my area and nothing.
I'd just "buy" one at Airgas.

A five-pounder is going to get replaced often enough, I wouldn't care to actually "own" one.

Yeah don't get rid of it, and here's another possible reason why (and I am not sure if this is true where you live, but it makes sense): The price for labor can be a big portion of the tank fill. For instance I got a 10lb filled and another homebrewer who posts here, we went to get our tanks filled and he brought his spare 5 lb tank. The cost difference between the two was about $2 for a fill. Not only that, the 20 lb tanks are more expensive to begin with.

just trade it. where I live, there is no 'fill up my tank' only swap out, and you can go from a 5 to a 20 and back to 5 with only the difference in gas. IE: if you have a tank of any size, it gets put in and you just pay for the gas for the new one you're taking. To them, all tanks are created equal.

You're probably fine dropping down to 5 or 10 and if you ever want to go back up, you can go back up. I took my 5 in one day for a fill, they didn't have any 5s in stock, so they gave me a 10 just for the cost of air, no upgrade fee.

I'd go to a welding shop, rather than airgas, if you have the option. The shop I go to will swap sizes as well and their CO2 is much cheaper. A 5 lb. bottle lasts a long time and is easier to take places.

While a bigger tank is certainly a plus and worth a few bucks more. If the five pounder fits inside the kegerator and makes swmbo happy, I vote just trade it in. It really depends though on your brewery production. Figure around ten cornies or 50 gallons per five pounder. If you are comfortable w/ that kind of replacement schedule, you'll be happy w/ a five pounder.

Sure I'd love a bigger tank, but the five is easy to handle and lasts me a long time.

Mike

I say keep it for purging..forse carbing ect..Look at it as a back up..or find another brewer in the area that want to upgrade and trade with for a bit more 5 for 20 is not a fair trade IMO.

Jay

Latest posts

Back