Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Should I refill my CO2 tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 AM   #11
gnef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

ONE MAJOR CAUTION: if it was used to fill paintball canisters, and he didn't invert the tank (mount it upside down) to fill, then that means it has a siphon tube - a dip tube going to the bottom of tank, siphoning liquid co2 through the valve. this is how those places fill the paintball tanks with liquid co2.

do NOT use a siphon tank on a regulator, it will slowly but surely destroy it, and maybe not even that slowly. it will literally freeze the regulator, and more importantly, the diaphragm.

go to a welding supply shop, and swap it for a regular, non-siphon tank, or pay them to take out the dip tube and replace the valve.

or, you can use the tank upside down to pull gas into the regulator, but this could cause issues in itself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 AM   #12
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Stop !!!

Paintball CO2 contains OIL. Don't ask me how I know, but I do - the oil is necessary to lubricate the mechanism of the paint ball guns.

Have your refiller clean the cylinder. Tell him what it was used for and that there can be NO oil residue in it.

These things ain't getting any cheaper...............(Beavis selling golf balls)

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
rjester

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnef
if it was used to fill paintball canisters, and he didn't invert the tank (mount it upside down) to fill, then that means it has a siphon tube - a dip tube going to the bottom of tank...
Now I remember him saying that it had a siphon tube. I didn't know what that was at the time. I'll see if I can exchange it for a different tank.

It's a good thing my regulator and kegs didn't come in yesterday.

Quick Reply