Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Should I pitch more yeast to naturally carb? 6.3% ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
sethP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should I pitch more yeast to naturally carb? 6.3% ABV

It's for a Black IPA (OG 1066) that I have going right now that is sitting at 1.020 right now after 2 weeks in the primary and I plan on transferring to a secondary for another 2 weeks, dry hopping the last week.

I will be kegging the batch but I was thinking I'd let it carb naturally just to keep me from getting my hands on it for another 2 weeks but I started thinking about the alcohol content and viability of the yeast that are still alive to carb it. I'd like to avoid dumping more sugar into it for no reason and I don't have any yeast on hand. Any ideas? Would I get a little bump in ABV from naturally carbing it? At the moment I'm leaning towards a force carb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

no need to add more yeast...more than enough will be left in suspension to carb by just adding sugar

EDIT: if you are kegging then no need to add more yeast

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel
sethP Likes This 
Old 03-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pretty much all yeasts would be comfortable at 6.3%, and honestly most well beyond that point.

The yeast do not die just because fermentation is complete, they just go dormant. And just because you see a giant yeast cake in the bottom, and your beer looks clear, doesn't mean there isn't plenty of yeast in suspension. In fact short of filtration, there isn't much of a way for homebrewers to eliminate enough yeast from the beer to prevent refermentation should you add more sugar.

You could carb it either way. Naturally will add a small but negligible amount of alcohol to the beer.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethP View Post
I'd like to avoid dumping more sugar into it for no reason and I don't have any yeast on hand. Any ideas? Would I get a little bump in ABV from naturally carbing it? At the moment I'm leaning towards a force carb.
Without sugar, it won't carb up...unless, of course, you force carb. So if you don't want to add sugar, then force carb it. But if you want to avoid diving into the beer too quickly, do the force carb by the long & slow method by just putting it on serving pressure...that way it'll take a few weeks before you can drink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Quick Reply