The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Should I keg or wait?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
mpjay2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 46
Likes Given: 1

Default Should I keg or wait?

I am brand new to kegging (and still an amature homebrewer). I thought I was ready to keg my first beer today, but the regulator I have is unusable. So I ordered a new one from More Beer, but I'm sure it won't be here for a week. I put my carboy in my keezer (set to 38F) to cold crash it before I knew I couldn't keg.

My questions are:
What should I do with the beer?
Leave it in the keezer for a week in the carboy?
Keg it and leave the keg in the keezer without sugar or CO2?
Keg it with priming sugar and put it back to room temperature?

As soon as I get the regulator, I'm going to hook up the CO2 to 12 PSI and leave it alone.

Thanks in advance!

__________________
mpjay2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Steelers77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 2,004
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

It's not going to hurt anything if you leave the beer in the fridge. That being said, if you rack to a keg and prime with sugar by the time you get your new regulator your beer will be carbonated!

__________________
Pearl Malt is back in stock!

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew
Steelers77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
mpjay2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 46
Likes Given: 1

Default

Steelers77,

Thanks for the fast reply bro! So, would it be cool to take the carboy out of the keezer tomorrow, keg it with about 2.5 ounces of priming sugar, leave it at room temp and then just hook it up to serving pressure in about a week? I wouldn't mind opening up that carboy for another beer.

Mpjay

__________________
mpjay2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
badbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'd leave it alone and skip the sugar.

__________________
badbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bad67z's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,886
Liked 106 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
I'd leave it alone and skip the sugar.
^^^ I'm with BB, I would wait, if you can't purge the 02 of the top of the keg I would wait.
__________________
bad67z is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
mpjay2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 46
Likes Given: 1

Default

You think it would be ok to leave it in the keezer for a week or should I pull it out?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Mpjay

__________________
mpjay2000 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 9,218
Liked 978 Times on 798 Posts

Default

Leave it in the cold. No way are you going to get a keg carbed up in a week using priming sugar, and unless you try something that might crack that carboy (that's a hint, fwiw) you'll lose a day just warming the carboy back up to wake up the yeast.

It'll be fine where it is. Call it "conditioning" if it helps

Cheers!

__________________
day_trippr is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can not wait! ajr2820 Bottling/Kegging 1 08-13-2011 05:14 AM
Keg now and wait for CO2? Bryggehus Bottling/Kegging 13 03-10-2011 02:54 AM
Help i want keg beer and cant wait! BuddyBrews Bottling/Kegging 11 12-08-2010 04:49 PM
Should I Keg it now...or wait Sherpa FE Bottling/Kegging 1 02-08-2008 05:51 PM
keg now or wait? todd_k Bottling/Kegging 3 03-20-2007 01:07 AM