The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Should I bottle it now or give it another week

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middletown, De
Posts: 35,776
Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Should I bottle it now or give it another week

I have an american wheat that I brewed 2 weeks ago but it has some serious temperature issues while fermenting getting into the high 80's. I need to have this beer ready in 3 weeks and I would like to give it time to mellow out a little bit more but I am afraid that it would be carbed in time if I dont bottle now. What is everyone's opion? Should I bottle now or give it another week and hope it carbs in 2 weeks?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
dataz722 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,044
Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Default

It doesn't matter. If you want to drink it when it's five weeks old, it'll still be only five weeks old whether it's bottled today or next week. Aging it on the yeast cake vs. in the bottle doesn't really matter, after it's been in primary for a couple of weeks. The yeast has done its work, and the only thing it needs now is time.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,942
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

When in Doubt....Wait it out.

__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.
BigKahuna is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
johnsma22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
johnsma22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 1,892
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Like Yoop said, if you need to have it ready in three weeks it doesn't really matter. It will only be five weeks old at that point regardless of whether you bottle it now or wait another week. The only thing waiting another week will do is possibly make it weak on carbonation.

If you're intent on having this beer ready to drink in three weeks I would bottle it now.

__________________
Cheers,
John

Last edited by johnsma22; 08-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.
johnsma22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Moonpile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Moonpile's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 685
Default

If you had the temperature problems you think you had, leaving it on the cake isn't going to make it enough less of a banana bomb to matter. On the other hand, I've NEVER had a problem getting a wheat beer with a slowly floccing yeast to carb, with some of them being ready in as little as two or three days, though to be fair those beers were better 7 to 10 days into carbing. So if you used such a yeast, I suggest you split the diff and leave it on the cake one more week and bottle two weeks before the event. That'll be plenty of time for them to carb and at least give the cake a chance to clean up a bit of the banana.

If it were any other kind of yeast, I'd say bottle now to give it the maximum chance of carbing well in time.

__________________
Moonpile is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One week in the bottle. bsruther Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 03-25-2009 01:22 AM
Going To Bottle Next Week Don "Ho" Mead Forum 8 03-12-2008 10:51 PM
Give-away 2 ltr pop bottle question RangerG Bottling/Kegging 4 11-22-2007 04:41 AM
Give up & bottle?! veggiess Extract Brewing 8 09-04-2006 04:54 AM
Bottle this week or next week? waskelton4 General Techniques 3 04-29-2006 02:37 PM