The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Should I bottle it now or give it another week

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Should I bottle it now or give it another week

I have an american wheat that I brewed 2 weeks ago but it has some serious temperature issues while fermenting getting into the high 80's. I need to have this beer ready in 3 weeks and I would like to give it time to mellow out a little bit more but I am afraid that it would be carbed in time if I dont bottle now. What is everyone's opion? Should I bottle now or give it another week and hope it carbs in 2 weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

It doesn't matter. If you want to drink it when it's five weeks old, it'll still be only five weeks old whether it's bottled today or next week. Aging it on the yeast cake vs. in the bottle doesn't really matter, after it's been in primary for a couple of weeks. The yeast has done its work, and the only thing it needs now is time.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When in Doubt....Wait it out.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Like Yoop said, if you need to have it ready in three weeks it doesn't really matter. It will only be five weeks old at that point regardless of whether you bottle it now or wait another week. The only thing waiting another week will do is possibly make it weak on carbonation.

If you're intent on having this beer ready to drink in three weeks I would bottle it now.

Last edited by johnsma22; 08-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Moonpile

Recipes 

If you had the temperature problems you think you had, leaving it on the cake isn't going to make it enough less of a banana bomb to matter. On the other hand, I've NEVER had a problem getting a wheat beer with a slowly floccing yeast to carb, with some of them being ready in as little as two or three days, though to be fair those beers were better 7 to 10 days into carbing. So if you used such a yeast, I suggest you split the diff and leave it on the cake one more week and bottle two weeks before the event. That'll be plenty of time for them to carb and at least give the cake a chance to clean up a bit of the banana.

If it were any other kind of yeast, I'd say bottle now to give it the maximum chance of carbing well in time.

Quick Reply