Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Should even move to secondary at this point?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
tlh1005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Should even move to secondary at this point?

I am having to rush two 5 gallon batches for the super bowl. I brewed an APA and a Pumpkin Ale last Monday, and I will keg them Thursday or Friday at the latest. This is going to sound crazy, but I was still planning to move them to secondaries today even if they're only going to be there for 4 or so days.

I've not been kegging since November, but so far I've managed to have clear, sediment free beer. I'm thinking I need to do the secondary still in order to maintain that. Considering my short time in secondary, is it overkill to still do it? I don't mind the extra work if it results in cleaner beer despite the short time. Or should I just stay in primary and keg Thursday straight from there? If there is still sediment that falls after I keg, does it typically come out in the first beer since it's at the bottom near the diptube?

BTW, I understand I am losing out on conditioning time, but I figure most people will probably be drinking whatever lite commercial beer I decide to get from the third tap and the two homebrews will just continue to age in the kegs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah I think it is worth it. That act of moving the beer seems to help get stuff to fall out faster although this could just be all in my head. But I too have noticed that even 3-4 days in a 'secondary' helps a little.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So these beers have barely been in primary a week and you wanna secondary them?

Are they even DONE fermenting??

If I were you I'd just go 'no secondary'. 4 days in secondary with only a week in primary...I don't see it helping much.
You'll get more yeast outta there by crash cooling while force carbing for 48 hours and then dispensing the yeast in the first pint.

/my 2 cents

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply