Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Shirron or Perlick?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
lostforatime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I need to buy 4, if it was only 1 I would just get the shirron's. I will figure it out later. Thanks everyone,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnef
honestly, i think that comparison is overly dramatic.

i have both faucets, two perlicks, and three ventmatics. all five are very nice, and work equally well from my standpoint.

ventmatics look better to me cosmetically, but function the same to me.

i would say get what you can afford.

something nice about the ventmatics though, is that there are replacement gasket kits available (although, i think they are around 10 dollars each... ouch!), and they have different spout attachments for those of you who are hardcore about your pouring.

me? i just need something that gets my beer into my glass in an efficient manner. i carb all my beers to the same volume of co2, even though i know it goes against the style. i'm just not that particular about it. if you are, then these are things you may want to take in to consideration.

if i were to do it over again, i'd probably get all perlicks due to the cost. at least at the time, perlicks were around 30 shipped, and the ventmatics were around 40-45. that difference is pretty significant for negligent performance differences to me. again, i have different priorities than others though, so do the research, and find what fits best to suit your needs.
Well said. A guy in my homebrew club has the vent-matic ones and honestly my perlicks perform just as well.

I recently got another perlick, to bring my collection to 2. I need one more on teh coffinbox to be rid of the last cheap faucet. The 4th faucet is a cheap stout faucet I got off of ebay.

I love my perlicks, and for the price, you can't go wrong.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #13
lostforatime

Recipes 

I just called my LHBS and they are selling the perlicks for 46 + tax, superior products sells them for 28 + tax. My LHBS must buy them from SP.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #14
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Damn, I wish I could find a Canadian online supplier for stuff like this. Paddockwood is a bit lacking in draft equipment.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #15
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

As an owner of both, they REALLY do work equally now. I say NOW because most Perlicks that you buy now, are either machined or an EXTREMELY smooth cast interior. Apparently enough people were complaining, and they listened. I have 2 of each, and if I were to blindly pour a beer from a random faucet, I would not be able to tell you the difference. What it will all boil down to though, Don't feel bad about buying EITHER one. If you want to save a few bucks, Go Perlick. If you want a Shirron because of something you read, Go Shirron. You will be pleased either route you take.

Last edited by Drunkensatyr; 04-18-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

actually, funny enough, i've read recently that shirron bought the rights to sell the faucets under the ventmatic name, so they are now called ventmatic again.

if you've followed the drama so far, it just gets more and more confusing for people...

Old 04-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #17
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Being a machinist, I suspect that BOTH are originally cast(as are SS anchor line cleats for boats, as an example), but having seen the pics of each I chose the Shirron because the attention to detail in the additional machining done inside is worth the slight additional expense, if any. It is hard to picture the shape of the outside being completely machined. I think both are cast, machined, polished and then assembled. The difference in performance is probably not noticeable, if it even exists, but the quality level is just a little better on the Shirron, by simple visual inspection. And I just bought the 'Ventmatic' from Austin, and they were called Shirron just weeks ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Last edited by HenryHill; 04-18-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforatime
norther brewer there is like a $3 difference. Why did you do with the perlicks, ollllllo?
This is only a valid arguement if you limit yourself to Northern Brewer... but why even use that as the comparison? You go with the lowest price from any vendor.

The skinny is, Shirrons are just under $39 a piece (NB or AHB) and Perlicks are just under $29 a piece (superprod.com). I bought four faucets so it would have been a $40 difference (about 25% more expensive) so I went with the Perlicks because I don't really believe the Shirrons are 25% better. There's a pic on someone's website, forgot which, that shows the machining of both. I really think they picked the best shirron and worst perlick for the comparison. My perlicks do not look anywhere near that rough.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 04-18-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just re-emphasizing the point that for several weeks you couldn't get either and for several weeks more you could ONLY get Perlick.

Made the decision easier. Also Thanks Bobby. I forgot to pass on the Superior Products $28 price. lostforatime: They have a retail store in Tempe in the Southern & Priest Area.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 04-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
lostforatime

Recipes 

I went there and you can only get the perlicks out of the catalog. Thanks

Quick Reply