New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Shelf life of Bottled Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Lanfox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Shelf life of Bottled Beer

What effects the shelf life of bottled beer? And in ideal situations what can i expet for maximum shelf life?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfox
What effects the shelf life of bottled beer? And in ideal situations what can i expet for maximum shelf life?
Depends what type of beer, how highly hopped it is and what the conditions you store it in are.

I "lost" half a case of a Red Real Ale for close to a year after brewing and it had a very different profile then when it was new. It was a medium hopped beer with a slight malt flavor, but after finding it in the cellar and cracking one open, the hop had faded into the background and the malt was heavy out in front.

Generally, higher gravity beers age better than low gravity. Higher hopped beers age better than lightly hopped beers. Cool, dark, dry places such as under the basement stairs or in a cellar are better for aging than warm places like an attic in summertime.

I'm sure someone will correct me, but for a standard Ale or Lager I would keep it under a year. IPA maybe longer. IIPA and barley wine I would age for up to around a year and half. But honestly, how can you manage to keep beer for that long?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Lol, I have taken to using packing tape and "hiding" beer from myself if I want to keep it for a long time.

Basically I would agree with mmb.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3462

Beeradvocate has some good info.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/store.php

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply