Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > "Shelf Life" of Beer in a Corny

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
Mr_Turtlehead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default "Shelf Life" of Beer in a Corny

I'm sure this question has been asked in the past, but can't seem to find it in the archives....

How long does beer stay "good" in a corny when it is in a fridge (under CO2 pressure)? Macrobrew beers say 30 days but was wondering about homebrews???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Mindflux
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

uhhhhh.

I had a batch of Apricot ale I brewed LAST february and we finished it in November. Tasty as ever.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[quote=Mr_Turtlehead Macrobrew beers say 30 days but was wondering about homebrews???[/quote]

How can it be good for 30 days when it was crap to start with?

Seriously, that's just marketing BS to get you to buy more beer. I have homebrews that are approaching 10 years old (Belgian Xmas Ale) and get better every year.

Storage conditions are what's critical in keeping beer fresh. Light and heat beddy, beddy bad for beer.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I have a barley wine that is going on four years that has never been in the fridge. I've had kegs of regular ales in the kegerator as long as 9 months without a problem. I'm much more likely to pitch the last of a batch because I want to put something else up, than because it's bad. Since light and O2 are the biggest problems, kegs are timeless. Heat can be a problem, but I just keep extra kegs in the garage in the winter and bring them into the house in the summer.

Some high gravity ciders and ales need a year just to mellow.

The macros are all about turnover today. Forty years ago they were talking about "aged to perfection".

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Mr_Turtlehead

Recipes 

Thanks guys, makes sense.

david_42, do you shoot some CO2 in your full kegs to lock them up while they are sittin' around and waiting for their turn in the tap line?

Mindflux, my grandma lives in Pflugerville! Parents live in Georgetown. And a sis that lives in the Big D. All of them are native St. Louisans-go figure! Guess that all belongs under the "What's up with Texas thread!!!"

Old 02-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I generally pressurize and purge twice before setting the keg aside. That gets rid of almost all of the O2 and ensures the keg is sealed.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Turtlehead
How long does beer stay "good" in a corny when it is in a fridge (under CO2 pressure)?
When homebrew ale is chilled the aging process is halted as the yeast goes dormant. So even though there are ales that hit their flavor peak in 3 to 6 months at fermentation temps, they all last longer in the fridge.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Quick Reply