Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > set and forget question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default set and forget question

So I've been trying to train myself to be patient. I rack my beer into a keg, turn the paid up to 12psi (my keggerator is now outside so the temp is around 50 degrees on average. Still waiting g for my temp controller).

I wait 3 weeks, and its carbonated, but nothing like it should. I can't get a head on the beer unless I just let the beer dump into the cup from the faucet. This is an Irish red.

I don't have this problem when I bottle. I'm kind of lost. And I missing some secret handshake or something?

I must be, if I remember correctly, the stout I kegged and let sit this way got really good carbonation when the beer was about halfway down. But again, I had waited 3 weeks before I tapped into that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

12psi at 50f is only 2 volumes of co2. Your gauge may also be off by a couple psi. Crank it up to 15 and see how it is after a couple days.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I really don't understand why people use the set and forget method. There are way faster ways to carb the beer. I don't agree with most of the shaking methods as they often cause beer to go up the gas line which is just more work to clean. I set mine to 35 psi for three days and then it's fully carbed. Really don't need to wait so long. There's nothing magic about making it take longer for the CO2 to dissolve. So for now, if it's not carbed enough, just turn up the pressure for a day and see how it goes.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

I thought 2 volumes of co2 = about what you get from a normal kits priming sugar additive (4oz)?

Suppose I am under carbonating, the beer would still have some carbonation eh? This is borderline flat. And why would my stout get better as it starts emptying?

I remember someone at morebeer talking about a carbonation stone hooked to his keg, am I supposed to use that?

Edit: and no my keg isn't leaking.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Carb stones work to get the beer carbonated faster but they are not necessary. Can you get your keg colder and turn up the pressure. That will do it.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It sounds like the variable is fridge temp.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Re your stout question, here's a theory: as the head space increases while the gas regulator setting remains constant, there is more CO2 (by mass) available to dissolve into the beer, plus there is less beer to absorb that gas. Hence the carbonation should increase...

Could be wrong but it sounds good to me

Cheers!

Old 08-13-2011, 04:28 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

If beer temp and CO2 pressure remains constant, it shouldn't matter how much volume of each exists in the container. What I think happens is that the average beer temp goes down a few degrees when the bulk of it is at the bottom of your fridge. Therefore the volumes of co2 can increase.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
If beer temp and CO2 pressure remains constant, it shouldn't matter how much volume of each exists in the container. What I think happens is that the average beer temp goes down a few degrees when the bulk of it is at the bottom of your fridge. Therefore the volumes of co2 can increase.
You must be right. I set up a simple stick on thermometer at the top of the inside of the fridge, and it never goes lower than 50 even with the fridge running on it's coldest setting. I'm gonna go get a CPU fan today.

Has anyone had any luck hooking up an outlet to the power for the light? Basically, take the light socket out and use those wires for an AC source to the phone charger rrunning the fan?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
kgfitz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
You must be right. I set up a simple stick on thermometer at the top of the inside of the fridge, and it never goes lower than 50 even with the fridge running on it's coldest setting. I'm gonna go get a CPU fan today.

Has anyone had any luck hooking up an outlet to the power for the light? Basically, take the light socket out and use those wires for an AC source to the phone charger rrunning the fan?
the light only comes on when you open the door i don't think that will work as a power source
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadtown View Post
If we were perfect the first time it wouldn't be much of a hobby now would it?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS