Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > set and forget carbing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default set and forget carbing

I normally force carb but i am attempting to slow my drinking down so this time i will let it sit and see how it goes. My question is this, my corny is sitting with the co2 hooked up to the dip tube in my kegerator. the tank is on a little step but the liquid post is higher than the tank. As pressure equalizes will it backflow into the co2 tank?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4621 Times on 3355 Posts
Likes Given: 905

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
I normally force carb but i am attempting to slow my drinking down so this time i will let it sit and see how it goes. My question is this, my corny is sitting with the co2 hooked up to the dip tube in my kegerator. the tank is on a little step but the liquid post is higher than the tank. As pressure equalizes will it backflow into the co2 tank?
First, you should have check valves so it can't no matter what! You must have your gas on the "in" tube.

But if you have the co2 turned on, the gas coming out will not allow the liquid to flow up into the gas tube. The liquid should be below the gas tube, of course. The pressure in the keg should never exceed the psi you have on the gauge. So, in short, no, you won't get beer back into the gas line. Unless you do something weird like shake the keg or allow the beer to cover the "in" diptube.

PS- even the "set it and forget it" method is force carbing. It's how I force carb, as a matter of fact. The idea of "force carbing" isn't to abuse and shake the beer- it's simply applying co2 to beer to cause carbonation. That's done instead of adding priming sugar, for example. I force carb all the time- at 12 psi in my kegerator.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 490 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Why is the gas hooked up to out liquid out post?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yep, if for some reason the pressure in the tank falls below the keg, it will slowly push beer into the tank. Nasty. I say keep the co2 hooked to the in port.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppinCaps View Post
Yep, if for some reason the pressure in the tank falls below the keg, it will slowly push beer into the tank. Nasty. I say keep the co2 hooked to the in port.
Oh, yes. If someone put the gas on the "out" port (very silly, if you ask me), there is a good chance for a blown regulator once the pressure equalizes!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A lot of people think you get better CO2 absorption by bubbling the CO2 up from the bottom by hooking to the out-line.
Problem is the bubbles go so fast to the surface that the absorption is negligible. Using one of those airstone diffusers would make a difference, but I'm guessing the OP didn't take that extra step, so its not really doing anything special.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Nope sure didnt have the diffuser, im pretty new to brewing and i thought i had read that carbing from the out was the way to go. I just switched back though. Thanks for all the responses

Old 10-26-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
Nope sure didnt have the diffuser, im pretty new to brewing and i thought i had read that carbing from the out was the way to go. I just switched back though. Thanks for all the responses
No, it's a really dumb and ineffective thing to do. I think some people have done it, but it won't work any faster anyway because the bubbles are too large to diffuse into the beer any faster than in through the "in" line.

If you had a carbonation stone and could make the bubbles smaller, then it would have potential. But it's not done through the "OUT" line anyway- it's done on a stone usually dropped in and hung from the lid.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, it's a really dumb and ineffective thing to do. I think some people have done it, but it won't work any faster anyway because the bubbles are too large to diffuse into the beer any faster than in through the "in" line.

If you had a carbonation stone and could make the bubbles smaller, then it would have potential. But it's not done through the "OUT" line anyway- it's done on a stone usually dropped in and hung from the gas in line.
Fixed

Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, it's a really dumb and ineffective thing to do.
i disagree.

-if you have check valves, then theres no danger in doing this.
-it takes no more effort than using the gas-in post
-agitating the beer = faster CO2 uptake

you arent causing much additional CO2 to be absorbed from the bubble itself, but what you are doing by bubbling it up from the bottom is agitating the liquid very slightly. theoretically it should take (however slightly) less time to carbonate with this method, than just putting pressure ontop of a totally stangnant, motionless liquid surface that is 3x deeper than the surface area.

how much more effective it is is up for debate, but you cant argue that its any less effective than using the gas-in post. if anything, it would be more effective. i see no reason not to do it, so long as you make sure liquid cant backfeed into the regulator.

Quick Reply