Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Serving Pressure vs. Force Carb Pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

This site give a lot of explanation and calculations for figuring line length, so you dont have to change the psi.

http://www.byo.com/stories/technique...vanced-brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #22
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
That's exactly why "serving pressure" should be stricken from brewing vocabulary. Balance the serving line and Chart equilibrium pressure = Serving pressure.
Exactly. In a properly balanced system, you serve at the same pressure you carb at. My primary regulator is pretty much always set at 12 PSI (I have dual regs for the occasional hefe or other beer that wants a few more bubbles).

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
So for something like a wheat beer that carbs at 23psi at 40 degrees...you would carb and serve this at 23psi? I would assume that you would need a longer line to serve this beer, no?
23 psi may be a bit hot, but if that is how you like it. Unfortunately the best answer to this question is to spend a bit more money. I will often enough have a hef, saison, belgian, etc that should be carbed at a higher level. I keep my keezer at 38 degrees. After my main regulator which I keep around 10-11 psi, I feed down to a secondary regulator that I will set at a higher level, say 15-18 psi. I then use 15 foot lines to dispense from these higher carbonated kegs.

I also have a split before the first regulator into my keezer that comes right off the co2 bottle regulator. I keep the co2 bottle regulator at 20-25 psi. I use this first line if I am short on time and need to get something up to carbonation in 2 or 3 days.

So in effect I can run at 3 different pressures inside my keezer depending on which lines I hook up. Of course this requires 3 regulators which is the down side, but it keeps life simple for carbing different styles.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 AM   #24
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Some carb, ferment, condition, lager, etc... in separate units than they serve in. Typically not a big difference in temp, but if you're carbing at a certain temp and want to be to style or your preference for that particular beer you may be serving it at a higher temp. My porter can be carbed much colder than I would prefer to serve it at for instance. You may be lagering one beer while carbing another in that same vessel. Once the carbing is complete you'd then transfer that beer to your serving vessel.

An example, if you carb at 35 degrees and want the beer to have 2.5 volumes co2 then you set it at 10 PSI in your carbing vessel. If you then go to serve that beer in your serving vessel and it's set at 40 degrees you would then need to adjust to 12 PSI in order to stay at 2.5 volumes of co2.

Most people do not have this kind of setup, but it's not all that out of the ordinary.

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #25
NamasteIPA
Recipes 

I'm pretty new to kegging myself. For my last two beers, IPA and Hefe, I have force carbonated at about 40psi for about 1 and a half days, release the pressure and bring up to serving. It's usually pretty close to perfectly carbonated and from there just let it naturally carbonate a little more at the +\- 10psi service depending on beer style.

May not be the perfect way to do it but it's a fast way if your in a pinch.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another benefit of the set and forget method is that the extra time will let the beer condition, settle and clarify a little before serving.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #27
StandEight
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Me too. I don't have a different "serving" pressure- what a pain that would be!

I want a beer- I'd have to open the kegerator, turn off the gas, purge the keg, reset to a low pressure. Then, I want a different beer. Do the same thing for that keg. When I'm done for the night, go back and turn up the pressure on the kegs I just used. Ugghh
I like my system! Keg a beer. Put it in the kegerator with the others. Drink whatever I want whenever I want out of any faucet. When a keg is empty, take it out and keg a new beer. Repeat.
Sounds like a damn good plan.

"If you look good ... you feel good"

Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
PistolaPete
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Subscribing to this thread