Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Serving Pressure vs. Force Carb Pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
mlyday
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

For my system and temp, I set and forget at 11 and serve at about 8-9. Ideally I would figure out the line length that would completely balance it so I would carb and serve at the same psi.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4950 Times on 3586 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper View Post
Yeah, what he said... I keep my kegarator at 40F, about 12PSI on my kegs and the lines are just over 10'. Pours perfectly!
Me too. I don't have a different "serving" pressure- what a pain that would be!

I want a beer- I'd have to open the kegerator, turn off the gas, purge the keg, reset to a low pressure. Then, I want a different beer. Do the same thing for that keg. When I'm done for the night, go back and turn up the pressure on the kegs I just used. Ugghh.

I like my system! Keg a beer. Put it in the kegerator with the others. Drink whatever I want whenever I want out of any faucet. When a keg is empty, take it out and keg a new beer. Repeat.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been cranking up to 25-30 for a 24 hours at 40ish degrees, testing, then usually dropping to 20 for another 24 hours. I'll then release pressure from the keg when it's at a good carb level, and drop psi down to 5ish for serving. It'll stay at 5ish psi for the duration of the keg, I don't crank it back up between servings. That would keep pressure in the keg at the higher psi level.

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

I initially pressurize to 53 PSI and stick it in the fridge overnight.

The next day it should be at 15psi or so. You can pump it back up to 50 PSI for 3 hours or so and have perfect carbs, or just leave it on the gas at 12-15psi and it will be perfect on the next day (48 hours total)

The initial burst of 53psi is almost completely diffused into the liquid in 24 hours, why not do that initially?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipman View Post
I've been cranking up to 25-30 for a 24 hours at 40ish degrees, testing, then usually dropping to 20 for another 24 hours. I'll then release pressure from the keg when it's at a good carb level, and drop psi down to 5ish for serving. It'll stay at 5ish psi for the duration of the keg, I don't crank it back up between servings. That would keep pressure in the keg at the higher psi level.
I was doing something similar, but at 5psi the beer started to lose carbonation.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Me too. I don't have a different "serving" pressure- what a pain that would be!

I want a beer- I'd have to open the kegerator, turn off the gas, purge the keg, reset to a low pressure. Then, I want a different beer. Do the same thing for that keg. When I'm done for the night, go back and turn up the pressure on the kegs I just used. Ugghh.

I like my system! Keg a beer. Put it in the kegerator with the others. Drink whatever I want whenever I want out of any faucet. When a keg is empty, take it out and keg a new beer. Repeat.
So for something like a wheat beer that carbs at 23psi at 40 degrees...you would carb and serve this at 23psi? I would assume that you would need a longer line to serve this beer, no?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
So for something like a wheat beer that carbs at 23psi at 40 degrees...you would carb and serve this at 23psi? I would assume that you would need a longer line to serve this beer, no?
That's nearly 3.5 Volumes of CO2. That's a bit much for me, but yeah, if you want to have that I would definitely recommend a longer beer line! I prefer my beers around 2.5 VoCO2 and I don't worry about changing that depending on style.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #18
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewing Clamper View Post
That's nearly 3.5 Volumes of CO2. That's a bit much for me, but yeah, if you want to have that I would definitely recommend a longer beer line! I prefer my beers around 2.5 VoCO2 and I don't worry about changing that depending on style.
That is going by http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php if you have a highly carbonated wheat beer.

Most of my beers will be 2.5 volume of CO2 ale and lagers with an occasional low carbonation porter or stout. I was just asking to know that answer just in case I make a beer that needs high carbonation.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

JPM - If you'd like to download my beer chart in my signature you can play around with carbing/serving temp, desired CO2 for your style, and what PSI would be required. You can then also play around with balancing your system (length of servining line needed for your system).

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That's exactly why "serving pressure" should be stricken from brewing vocabulary. Balance the serving line and Chart equilibrium pressure = Serving pressure.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply