New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Serving pressure basics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
thistleglassgirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Serving pressure basics?

I have my (first ever) three kegs all hooked up, and they are slow carbonating (I hope that's the correct term) for a few weeks at 12-13 psi (no priming sugar). The fridge temp is 48F for the time being. I've taken samples of the beers every few days and it seems like the carbonation is coming along slowly but nicely.

Is there a chart out there that lists different types of beer and their best serving pressures and temperatures? I have three pressure gauges so they can be set individually, but of course one temperature for the entire fridge. When I google "serving pressure for bohemian pilsner" for instance, I can't get a straight answer.

Or, if you know the preferred settings/have recommendations for the beers that would be great too.

I have a strong scotch ale, a "winter specialty spice ale," and a bohemian pilsner (brewed with Cali lager yeast at warmer temps).

I know people like to play around with these things but I don't know where to begin. Aside from tasting the beer, of course.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Wobbegong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is useful.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
passedpawn

Recipes 

Liked 2632 Times on 1698 Posts
Likes Given: 2140

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Appearance. Not really complete, but this is the style guidelines, so it's the source of the Nile so to speak.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
justhops
Recipes 

http://www.mashspargeboil.com/achieving-the-right-carbonation-in-your-home-brew-beer/

I frequently use this chart.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

The easiest and most consistent way is to pick a desired CO2 volume, calculate what pressure that works out to be in your kegerator, then apply that pressure to the keg and leave it there until the keg is kicked. It'll take 1-3 weeks to be fully carbonated, but after that you'll have no worries that it's over/under carbed as you go through the keg.

Quick Reply