Serving pressure for a 1/2 barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy13586

Reaction score
I just picked up a used Sears kegerator off of craigslist for $200. It came with a cleaning kit, regulator, and full co2 tank. Awesome.

Unfortunately I don't have any homebrew kegged, so my buddies and I are going to pick up a 1/2 barrel of Yueng tonight to break it in, but I have no idea what to set the serving pressure to.

Any ideas?

It really depends on a whole lot of things like how many volumes of CO2 the beer is carbed at and the length and size of beer line and a whole mess of mathematics that make my head hurt. Instead of going through all of that, try serving at 5 lbs and see how it pours. This is what I serve my brews at and it works like a charm for me. It's a slow pour but it's worth it to avoid the dreaded cup-o-foam.

How much length of serving line is there? What's the serving line ID?

I'd say the serving line is about 4ft. As far as the ID, not a clue. Putting in a 5 foot 3/16" ID line is one of my more imediate mods. I'd like to eventually add a drip tray, a dual tower, and ball lock connectors for when I have time and money to brew again.

I've had a couple of suggestions on various forums saying between 10-12 psi. Its coming out with a nice flow, but is still a bit foamy. This could be because of the line, or more so the fact that it was rolling around in the back of my station wagon. If its still foamy in the afternoon, i'll try knocking it down to 5-8 psi and see where that gets me.

Thanks a bunch!

Jeremy

Latest posts

Back