HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Serving off a picnic tap, carb questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
cabot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Serving off a picnic tap, carb questions!

I have some apfelwein that is going to be ready to keg next week, and also have a christmas ale that will be kegged in 2 weeks. I am bringing the apfelwein to my gf's christmas party and the ale to my parent's house for the holidays.

Question (these are my first kegging endeavors):

At the gf's, the keg will most likely be left outside the door, I'm in Maine...that is going to mean 30-40 degrees this time of year. I am serving it with a cobra tap off of 3ft of hose. Serving pressure is somewhere around 1psi. I want the apfelwein to be carbonated somewhere around 4 volumes. I will chill the kegs in the basement and put them under the appropriate pressure for about a week. When I get to the party, I blow off the co2, set to serving pressure, and go...how will the keg stay carbonated for the whole night? Or will I have to put it back on the gas? After the party, when I bring home what's left, do I need to put it directly back onto carbing gas, or can I let it sit until i'm ready to drink again? Same questions stand for the christmas ale, which will be slightly less carbed.

Sorry if these are hairbrained questions...I'm just a kegn00b. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just like a keg of Coors Light, it will stay carbed under low pressure for a few hours. I think you'll be fine.
As far as going home, I'd hook it back to live gas over night...just to stabilize the carbonation level, then you can unhook and store.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

4 volumes? That's a massive amount of carbonation for apfelwein. Unless you've done this before with good results, id go a lot lower.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
cabot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Kahuna, exactly what I wanted to know.

Wildwest...I haven't done this before...I believe edwort said he did this in his thread, and served it like a pseudo champagne, which is what I was hoping to accomplish. If the consensus is that it would be messy, I will do something lower. Another question, like I said, I am using a 3ft line...would it make sense to use longer line? and how long would I need it to be to make the serving pressure and the carbing pressure the same?

tnx again for the swift replies!

O'Maolagain Donegal Red

Go confindently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Old 11-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5428 Times on 3909 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

If you want approx 4 volumes, at 40 degrees you'd be at 29 psi (see the carbonation chart here: Force Carbonation & Carb Table

To balance that, you'd need like 25 feet of line. Otherwise, you'll get a big glass of foam. If you want to go a bit lower, you can probably get by with 10 feet of bee line, like maybe at 15-20 psi. I'm just guessing on that part- you'd probably want to just reduce the psi until you don't get too much foam.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply