Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Seeking kegging wisdom.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
ATXweirdobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Seeking kegging wisdom.

Hello all, I have been in the brewing business for alittle over half a year now and I am already fed up with bottling. I am saving my pennies and dimes for a dual tap kegerator and I am wondering if any of my fellow brewers have any bits of wisdom for me before I embark on this adventure. Any hints, tips, lessons, or stories on what to do and not do based on your own experiences would be well appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
mkw87
Recipes 

I just got mine. The only advice I have is get what you want, don't buy something planning to change it later. Get what you want the first time, you'll love having the kegs!

Bottled : Apfelwein, Blackberry Mead, Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale, Kolsch

Next Up: Blackberry ? and a Boch of some sort

Old 08-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
hawgwild81
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw87
I just got mine. The only advice I have is get what you want, don't buy something planning to change it later. Get what you want the first time, you'll love having the kegs!
+1. I bought a dual tap a year ago. Wish I had a 4 tap now.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
hawgwild81
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 189

And I would probably go with a pin lock set up vs. ball lock. It seems ball lock kegs are hard to come buy now and they are more expensive. I bought a couple ball lock's last year for $30. This year they are around $50 plus shipping. My LHBS doesn't carry them anymore.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I am happy with a two tapper that has room for three kegs. As soon as one kicks I have another carbed and ready. I have four kegs. One out, one in, gas on for a week or two. I found mine on Craigslist and bought two more kegs.

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the great replies so far. I am seeking to get the dual tap, I just dont really brew way too much with how busy my life is. I typically brew only about 3 batches a month and would still like to bottle one every now and then so I can have something more portable to take to a friend's house.

I am not worried about finding ball lock kegs because my LHBS always has about 20-30 lying around for people to buy.

One other question, has anybody noticed a lack in taste when they force kegged compared to letting the carbonation set in withen a week or so?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I understand you correctly, I think you're referring to cranking up the gas on a keg and shaking for a short time vs properly setting the pressure and letting it sit for a week or so.

If that's the case, here's my response. I've never noticed a difference. To me, one could notice a difference if you went direct from 1 week primary to 3 weeks secondary to shaking a keg as opposed to letting it sit on the gas for some time. But that has more to do with aging the beer an getting some of the green out.

I usually have a supply of uncarbed beer in kegs aging so that's never an issue for me. But if you dont have that luxury, I would set the gas properly and let it sit if for no other reason than extra conditioning.

Plus, the force-shaking, let-er-rip method is tough to get the right carb level.

That's my 2 cents.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I force carb mine and let them sit for a week or two before they go into the keezer. After they chill they still take on a lot more CO2, so even the way I force carb they are only semi carbed until they are chilled. Green beer is green beer. Just like bottles, aging is they key. That is why I now have four kegs & four fermentors. Brew to glass for me can be 12 weeks. Your mileage may vary.

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Exactly what I was referring too. I do not mind waiting a few extra days to have my beer acheive a more refined taste. Quality comes with time.

"Relax, dont worry, have a homebrew." -Charlie Papazian
"A friend with yeast is a friend indeed."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

By more taps then you think you need. Buy a bigger keezer or kegger. I did everything twice so you don't have to. Buy PERLICK SS faucets upfront, they are better, easier to keep clean and when you tear them down they look brand new after years of use. Buy quality beer lines, don't skimp on the cheap home depot vinyl tubing. Buy long 10' and trim down if needed, don't waste time on the short lengths. Don't buy new CO2 tanks, check with the place you are going to fill your tank and see if they fill or exchange. Consider just getting one from them for exchange purposes. Nothing worse than trading in your brand new Aluminum tank for some old POS tank, brought tears to my eyes. Invest in a bottle of real leak detection fluid for finding CO2 leaks so you don't blow $10-$20 of CO2 in a day.

Quick Reply