Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > sediment in my bottle.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
johnson1985
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sediment in my bottle.....

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem. I currently have about 15 1 litre bottles of carbonated cider (used priming sugar) sitting in my garage ready to drink. They all have a small amount of sediment at the bottom.

When drinking a bottle, the first couple of glasses taste pretty good, however, as I pour it out, the sediment mixes up with the drink and gives it a sour/bitter taste. So half the bottle is good, the other half not so good.

Is there anything I can do to resolve the situation?

Maybe I could siphon off each bottle into another leaving the sediment behind? But that surely would lose the carbonation....

Any help would be great!

steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I can't speak much about cider, but with beer I always try to pour with only one smooth pour, even if it is into two different glasses that are right next to eachother. If you want to pour 1 Liter clear and keep the sediment from mixing in, you might have to do the same.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah the single smooth pour works best for me too. Maybe when you crack one pour it from one bottle to an empty one then work on it from there?

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've heard that cold storage/cold crashing after they're carbed and conditioned, from 24 hrs to a week, can help the yeast fall out and compact in the bottom. If they sit long enough the "yeast cake" (yeast cupcake?) at the bottom can get pretty tight. This seems to work pretty well with 22oz bombers for me. This is with beer though so YMMV

Old 11-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
johnson1985
Recipes 

ok cheers for the tips,...I think i might try to pour them into new bottles leaving the sediment behind, I wonder if that'd lose carbonation though....

Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

this is common, even in cider (which i also make plenty). smooth pour it, but leave the sediment in the bottom. cider sediment doesn't add to the flavor at all

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 11-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

as stated above, pour the entire bottle in one smooth pour leaving the sediment behind. You might have to fill several glasses at a time, or a pitcher, but that technique will net you clear cider. When I pour 22 oz bombers of beer, I will put two glasses side by side...pour the first one, and then move immediately to the next one mid-pour. Works great and no sediment is mixed in.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
johnson1985
Recipes 

The sediment in the bottle really does change the taste of the cider, and the problem is that as soon as I tilt the bottle to pour it starts mixing in with the cider. I think I'm going to leave it out in the garage for longer and hopefully the sediment will become more compact at the bottom so it doesn't move about as much....

Quick Reply