Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Secondary Regulators

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Default Secondary Regulators

Reading the other regulator posts today got me worried. I picked up a used CO2 tank on eBay and didn't want to spend more money on a regulator. I had the secondary regulator pictured below, so I took it to my gas supply place and asked if I could use it. He said that he didn't see why not and sold me the post to screw in the side to connect to the tank.

I hooked it up and nothing exploded, but that doesn't mean it's safe. It is a Tap-Rite regulator, but doesn't have any model number on it. Their website says that their current secondary regulators are good for 3300 lbs, but I don't know how old this one is.

Is anyone familiar with this regulator or have an opinion on using it as a primary regulator?

regulator3.jpg  
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Last edited by AnOldUR; 11-20-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the only reason they stamp a low limit on the secondary regs is because it comes with a hose barb on the high pressure port. They don't want anyone thinking they can make up a simple PVC hose set between a tank and the reg. BOOOOM! I'm pretty sure you're OK. You might want to think about changing that gauge out to a 0-30 or even 0-15psi range. You'll like it much better.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd say from the fact that you hooked it up and nothing exploded that you are safe. If that was a low pressure regulator, I'm pretty sure full tank pressure would have blown it away.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I too think its probably fine if it didn't blow up by now. Just watch it to make sure it holds a constant pressure.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Thanks for the reassurance. This setup is just for priming in my basement refrigerator and I wanted to keep the cost to a minimum. There is a 30 lb gauge laying around here somewhere. I’ll give that a try.

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Quick Reply