Secondary in a Cornie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecaz

Reaction score
If I rack to a Keg, do I want to 'burp' the keg, or do I want to let any additional CO2 build up in the keg? This will be the time for conditioning, and my intention is not to drink it yet.

I plan to rack to the cornie, let it sit for 4 weeks or so, and then force carb.

Should I burp or no? :) And thank you all!

Assuming your fermentation is complete, there is no need to burp it until before you connect to CO2. As far as conditioning, we do it all the time, however we also add priming sugar so it is ready to go in 3-4 weeks. You may want to turn it upside down for a day or so to make certain you have a seal.

You won't be able to rack it completely over without burping it, unless you push it with a couple hundred PSI.

I plan to rack to the cornie, let it sit for 4 weeks or so, and then force carb.

Should I burp or no? :) And thank you all!

Ah, sorry, I thought you were transferring. There's no reason to burp, if it's staying in the same vessel.

You won't be able to rack it completely over without burping it, unless you push it with a couple hundred PSI.

Or rack it with the lid off :confused:

Just rack it and hit it with CO2 to seal the lid, burp it a couple times to release oxygen, then store for intended period of time.

I don't understand this statement? I am assuming the OP is simply racking out of the primary fermentor into a cornie?

edit: Never mind? I'm confused?

Ok --

I'll rack it, fill the empty space w/ CO2 (burp it to get the O2 out) and then leave it alone until I'm ready to force carb. Thanks!

Although as several people have pointed out, you could prime the keg and let it naturally carbonate. The primary advantage is if you force carbonate it takes a couple days for the beer to adjust to the increased acidity. I'll do this if I'm making a clone kit and priming sugar was included.

Back