The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sears is ripping me off!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
BrotherInKrime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sears is ripping me off!

Last July I purchased a Kenmore chest freezer to use as my kegerator. I brewed in early August and used it initially as a fermentation chamber with a simple plug in external thermostat set to 65. Since I am going back to school, work full time, and the wife got on me about laying down some new flooring I didn't get around to kegging the beer until 3 weeks ago. I did check on brew at least once every few weeks and made sure the airlocks were topped off with cheap vodka. So after I got everything kegged and put together I set the external thermostat to 50 degrees. 2 days later I came back and she wasn't cooling down at all. The warranty said it was covered until July 8th. They sent a guy out and they gave me the verdict that the freezer was shot and the warranty was voided. I tried calling customer support but they would not connect me with someone to argue my case. They say because I didn't use it as a freezer the warranty is voided.

Buyer beware. I am sharing my story so that no one else gets screwed out of a few hundred dollars by them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
tojo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

That sucks. I've had mixed interactions with Sears....some good....some not so much.

Funny that they would jump to that conclusion right away, because it never worked as it was supposed to from the beginning. A freezer cool, you were cooling....just not as much....so therefore it should last longer.

I love a good train wreck!!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
BrotherInKrime
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo View Post
That sucks. I've had mixed interactions with Sears....some good....some not so much.

Funny that they would jump to that conclusion right away, because it never worked as it was supposed to from the beginning. A freezer cool, you were cooling....just not as much....so therefore it should last longer.

Exactly, the thermostat set higher means that it runs even less which should mean a longer life. I specifically used an external thermostat because I didn't want to void the warranty.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo View Post
A freezer cool, you were cooling....just not as much....so therefore it should last longer.
Except the compressor runs a heck of a a lot more when you are trying to maintain a higher temp with an external controller.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Your supposed to change it back to stock before the service guy gets there.

People Like This 
Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Man, Sears isn't the only one. Freezers and fridges are buyer beware once you start doing anything to them. That's why Craigslist freezers are a good idea. Or, if you are buying new, just getting a pre built Kegerator isn't a bad idea.

My friends once got a mini fridge for our bar years ago, and like idiots they drilled a hole in top (they were sure there was no risk of damaging the coils beforehand) before turning it on to make sure the compressor worked. Turned out it was a bum compressor, it the warranty was voided once they put a hole in it. They were SOL. Would have been a $300 repair to a $200 fridge. We wound up only using it when we had a party and could put a keg and bags of ice in.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
BrotherInKrime
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
Except the compressor runs a heck of a a lot more when you are trying to maintain a higher temp with an external controller.

How is it working more? The compressor runs more to cool it down. The greater the differential between the interior and exterior set temperatures would mean that it has to work more.

Ex. If the external temp is 65 and the thermostat is set to 65 theoretically it shouldn't have to turn on to cool at all. If the thermostat is set to 30 then it needs to run much more to maintain that temperature.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
[citation needed]
Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
BrotherInKrime
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_wire View Post
Man, Sears isn't the only one. Freezers and fridges are buyer beware once you start doing anything to them. That's why Craigslist freezers are a good idea. Or, if you are buying new, just getting a pre built Kegerator isn't a bad idea.

My friends once got a mini fridge for our bar years ago, and like idiots they drilled a hole in top (they were sure there was no risk of damaging the coils beforehand) before turning it on to make sure the compressor worked. Turned out it was a bum compressor, it the warranty was voided once they put a hole in it. They were SOL. Would have been a $300 repair to a $200 fridge. We wound up only using it when we had a party and could put a keg and bags of ice in.

I couldn't find a chest freezer which is why I bought a new one. I have 4 cornys now but I am just going to get a cheap fridge and deal with that for not. I don't have the stomach to blow that much money again.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

if the external's diferential is wider than the freezer's, the compressor might run longer cycles but it shouldn't run MORE at all.
With the same insulation, heat penetration is faster with a larger temp difference. It should run LESS maintaining a higher temp.

Quick Reply