The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > sealing kegs with pressure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
BuzzCraft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sealing kegs with pressure

so i often come across threads (and excerpts in books) that refer to sealing a keg with pressure. when people, as in a recent thread, ask about priming a keg with corn sugar and naturally carbonating, someone invariably chimes in and states that you still need CO2 to seal the keg with pressure. so what happens when that pressure head absorbs into the beer, which i presume happens pretty quickly if you hit the keg with some pressure just to seal it and then diconnect CO2 and wait for it to naturally carbonate. i know that if i hit a keg with 30 psi and then disconnect it, leave it overnight and pull the pressure release on the keg the next morning, there is no pressure in it...it's all absorbed into the beer.

does the pressure seal the gasket and that's that? even when the pressure drops it's still sealed?

i've just had a couple of beers and i'm curious.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I think that once that lid gets seated well, it should stay sealed unless it gets opened. I just started kegging myself, but I did my first one exactly as you described - primed, hit with 30 PSI and then set aside (at room temp). It sealed and carbed up perfectly.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
I think that once that lid gets seated well, it should stay sealed unless it gets opened. I just started kegging myself, but I did my first one exactly as you described - primed, hit with 30 PSI and then set aside (at room temp). It sealed and carbed up perfectly.
+1

the 30PSI is just to make sure that the lid oring is completley closed off. the pressure in the head will add only a very small amount of carbonation, and the rest will be natural.

Quick Reply