Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Screw on caps - 1/2 gal jugs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 AM   #1
Staem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Screw on caps - 1/2 gal jugs?

Has anyone ever used 1/2 gal juice jugs to bottle? I have a couple farm bought juice jugs with screw on caps & I'm a bit short on regular bottles.

If anyone's used them & had any success, I sure would like to hear about it. I've heard that the Grolsh style bottles don't seal well long term & was wondering if the screw on caps had a similar result.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I doubt that your average juice jug would withstand carbonation pressures. Grolsch bottles work just fine as long as you keep the rubber grommet seals in good condition.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

My growler from Stone Brewing has a flip top with a rubber gasket. If you could find one like it, it would work. Check this link to see an example: (#4 in the photo)
http://www.stonebrew.com/tasting/kegs/index.html

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 AM   #4
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I just bottled 8 of those liter grolsch bottles, i hope all the seals were good. I am going to give them out as christmas presents with a nice label and bow on them. I am always looking for a cheap present to give out...

Old 11-21-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
javedian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Plastic soda bottles work great for short term (less than about 4 months). Be careful with water bottles that look like soda bottles, a few I have looked at don;t have the rubber gasket that the soda caps have, since they don't have to seal as tight to contain carbonation. I like the 500ml ones (a good pint), the 1L (a good tankard of beer, or a pint to share) or the 2L if you plan to take it to a party (essentially a pitcher). The soda bottles are built to take the pressure - they have a much higher burst strength than glass, but are more gas permiable, so your beer is subject to go flat and oxidize over time. FYI, a nice stout in Coke or Pepsi bottles comes in handy when beer needs to be taken to certain places that prohibit conventional alcohol.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Staem
Recipes 

I should have been more specific, the bottle is glass with a screw on cap that has about 3 rows of threads on it. It's like a Carlo Rossi wine bottle with the fingerhole on the top. I was wondering if I'd have any pressure problems with that cap.

I got peach juice from a local farm cuz the farmer told me to add a lil' rum to it. He didn't actuall tell me what would happen but he winked at me & elbowed me in the ribs. He was right, it made a heck of a combo.

Last edited by Staem; 11-21-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
brehm21
Recipes 

When I moved into my grandparents' old place, I discovered several older glass jugs my grandpa had used for honey (he had hives spread all around the farm). I put them in the attic of my workshop and forgot about them until I saw some plastic screw-on caps at my LHBS. I sprung a $1.20 for two caps and brought them home to find out they only fit one jug......a brown glass 1 gallon jug (with finger-hole) that had a dead mouse inside. I cleaned it for about 1 hour with 3 or 4 different harsh chemicals. When I bottled a cream ale about 6 weeks ago I used it.
Since then I discovered a second, clear jug those caps will fit, but I don't think I'm going to use it.....unless I paint to keep light out.
This past Saturday I broke it open to celebrate OSU's victory over Meechigan. It was the best tasting beer from that batch!! Well carbed, and tasted great. No dead mouse aftertaste either!

The caps I bought were black plastic, with a slightly softer, clear plastic inner that says POLY-SEAL. You might check with places that carry lots of wine making supplies also.
Good luck!

Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Metal screw caps will not hold pressure, even if the glass jugs don't break. Sounds like plastic ones might, but I'd put the jugs in a well drained location while carbonating. I use gallon jugs for fermentation, but my experiences with metal screw top growlers have all been poor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply