The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sanyo 4912 Kegerator problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I missed that.

Ok: Right there this presents a serious problem. Now I understand why it is freeing up. The next issue is where is the temp probe placed? And then: Is there a return path for the cooling air being blown into the tower?
Using a Johnson controller presents a problem? I have moved the temp probe around with no effect. It just can't keep up. It's gotta be the return path for the tower cooling air. It's a really short run, probably 2.5 feet to the tower. Do you think that fan is even necessary?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyZ View Post
Oh also, make sure the factory thermostat is turned up to max so the Johnson has full control.
Yeah, checked that.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #13
MannyZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
It's gotta be the return path for the tower cooling air. It's a really short run, probably 2.5 feet to the tower. Do you think that fan is even necessary?
The fan setup is just to keep the foam down on the first pour due to the tower lines, shanks and taps being room temp. I don't use a fan in my Sanyo and I rarely have trouble with the first pour. I rub the taps down with ice for a minute before the first pour if the beer on tap happens to start giving foamy pours.

If you want to eliminate all the variables for an all out test you can unplug the blower, turn the factory thermostat up to max, and plug the Sanyo directly into the outlet, bypassing the Johnson. Leave the Johnson plugged in however so you can still use it to monitor the temp without opening the door. Taping the Johnson probe directly to the keg will help you monitor the actual beer temp which will take longer to cool than the gel I'd imagine. Check on it every couple hours, if the fridge is working properly it can freeze your beer.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #14
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The fan itself might be the problem. I used to use one in my first kegerator but stopped using it when I realized that the fan heated up the air by several degrees. It did keep the tower cooler, but at the expense of the beer itself. I've upgraded to a larger diameter tower and removed the fan and have not had any issues since. the tower stays cold, the beer gets as cold as I'd like and the compressor cycles on and off.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

MannyZ Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
pabloj13
Recipes 

Thanks, guys! I am going to have him remove the fan and the controller and make sure the fridge is fine and then test the other two variables.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Using a Johnson controller presents a problem? I have moved the temp probe around with no effect. It just can't keep up. It's gotta be the return path for the tower cooling air. It's a really short run, probably 2.5 feet to the tower. Do you think that fan is even necessary?
And:
Quote:
The compressor runs constantly. The back freezes up, so I think the coolant is ok.
Right now the corny keg is sitting at 53 degrees. There is a Johnson controller set to 39 degrees. The temp probe is in a small bottle of freezer goo.
I suggest that you get rid of the controller and set the temperature to your target temp using the refrigerator temp control. The refer is being over driven now and is not doing much chilling because it is being over driven and icing the cold plate.

The suggestion by some to set the refer thermostat to max is a huge mistake. And, also like I said, using an external controller is a mistake as well.

P-J

Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
And:

I suggest that you get rid of the controller and set the temperature to your target temp using the refrigerator temp control. The refer is being over driven now and is not doing much chilling because it is being over driven and icing the cold plate.

The suggestion by some to set the refer thermostat to max is a huge mistake. And, also like I said, using an external controller is a mistake as well.

P-J
I don't understand how it could be "over-driven" all the Johnson controller does is provide power to the fridge and cut it off when it reaches target temp, right?

Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
I don't understand how it could be "over-driven" all the Johnson controller does is provide power to the fridge and cut it off when it reaches target temp, right?
If you say so. But then I guess you are not having any problems with the refrigerator. The Sanyo 4912 is a self defrosting unit. It is not a freezer and does not have a freezer compartment. If you bypass the built in controls, then what? You already stated that the cooling plate becomes covered with ice.

Good luck. I'm done.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
If you say so. But then I guess you are not having any problems with the refrigerator. The Sanyo 4912 is a self defrosting unit. It is not a freezer and does not have a freezer compartment. If you bypass the built in controls, then what? You already stated that the cooling plate becomes covered with ice.

Good luck. I'm done.
I'm not arguing. I appreciate your help. I'm just trying to understand how it works. I just bought a 4912 myself and would like to avoid the issues. As far as I could tell I am not bypassing and defrost timers or anything, since the Johnson Controller just cuts power at a certain temp. I could see overdriving it if I was telling the Johnson controller to get the fridge to 15 degrees and then set the fridge thermostat to "Max". But this is sitting at 53. The fridge is constantly powered, which means any defrost timers would still be able to function. I checked the parts diagram for the 4912 and couldn't find any defrost timers or heaters. Is it actually self-defrosting?

Old 09-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the same fridge converted into a kegerator. If it does not reach proper beer temps without the external control then something is wrong with it.

image-3917988801.jpg

I have the temp setting at 5 and it is currently 38 degrees. If I crank it to the max setting it will go down to 30 degrees without freezing the compressor. Much too cold for good beer, but it does not need the external control.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Quick Reply