Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sanyo 4912 Kegerator Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #131
brewdood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Alright good stuff. Thanks for the tip. Do you know much about regulators? If this is my first kegerator should I just buy a cheap one? And as far as a splitting the line to go to 2 kegs would a simply 'Y' hookup work nice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #132
vinchete
Recipes 

You could probably find cheaper (used) equipment online, but it's not an outrageous price for new equipment, and the convenience of getting everything in one place is nice. Most of us compile separate pieces at a time as time/budgets permit, but if you can afford to shell it all out at once I'd pull the trigger. (Looks like only the corney kegs are reconditioned) Estimated shipping was only $22, not bad!

Definitely get the Perlick faucet upgrades, and I'd recommend the three gauge regulator, too, so you can set each keg to different pressures, etc. These are two features most people go cheap on to start with, and eventually upgrade. You'll have to check the size of the CO2 canister you order (5lb standard), go as big as will fit in your fridge!

Cheers,
V

Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #133
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

a 3 guage reg would be nice but if you dont want to shell out the xtra money a simple air tee (Y thing) would work fine and you can just set the gas between the 2 rec. setting or if you got a beer on tap that isnt so demanding on having exact correct carb. just set it to the one you want to be correct.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #134
SeanGC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey could I use a 2" hole saw for the top or does it need to be atleast 2 - 3/4" ?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #135
vinchete
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGC View Post
Hey could I use a 2" hole saw for the top or does it need to be atleast 2 - 3/4" ?
I think you can go smaller (I think I did), but the problem is your keg connections might not fit through a small hole. You may have to feed the faucet hoses through the hole you drilled and then attach the keg connections to your beer line/s inside the fridge. If you ever have to remove the faucet (upgrading to more taps?) you'll have to disconnect the keg connections to get the hose line out. I don't think there's any other issue going smaller.

Whatever you do, definitely do the rubbing alcohol and corn starch trick described in the first post of this thread before you start drilling...the freon line is hand-laid across the top of each Sanyo fridge so it's location varies from fridge to fridge. If you're lucky (like most) the freon line is far enough to the back that you can drill through like most everyone else...but you won't know where that freon line is until you do the corn starch trick.

Cheers,
V

Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #136
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanGC View Post
Make sure it's a hole saw made for metal. I tried one that was for wood and it did a crappy job. I ended up using a drill bit and drilling a bunch of holes around the circle.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #137
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry to bring back this thread, but is anyone strictly using the Sanyo temp control as opposed to an external temp controller? If so, what setting do you keep it on to maintain the best temperature? I'm going to keg for the first time next weekend using this fridge and I don't have a temp controller. Just wondering if I'll be ok using the fridge's temp levels. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #138
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have been using mine without a temp controller, before it reached over 100 degrees outside I was just keeping it on 4or5, but now I have it on Max.
Either way, I do not think a temp controller is needed.

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 07-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #139
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I'm running mine between 4 and 5 right now. Seems to stick in the vicinity of 40F (ambient temps around 80F for the most part).

Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #140
vinchete
Recipes 

I never did the temperature sensor conversion; always used the standard Sanyo knob and agree with the previous posts.

One word of caution though if you ever make soda, root beer, etc. I had mine at 5 for the longest time, but had to turn it down to 4 when I added a second cornelius keg with root beer. At 5 the root beer actually froze up on me once; it hasn't frozen yet at 4.

Also, if you haven't already, I recommend wrapping the beer lines in your draft tower with pre-slit pipe insulation to keep your beer cool. It's so cheap it's really not even worth debating the effectiveness.

V

Quick Reply