Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sankey Low Clearance & Ball Locks Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
Ki-ri-n
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Sankey Low Clearance & Ball Locks Needed

So I now have a few 1/6 kegs and want to adapt them into my kegarator. The highest I can fit is about 27" tall, largest OD is 8". I also want to be able to use my existing ball lock connections.
I was thinking about using something like this:

But it only comes with barb fittings. Is there a street elbow I could use that would allow me to use these for my ball locks and be within the 8" OD?

Or, what if I used a regular lever tap with one of these:

Or what about a wing type coupler?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you use the low profile coupler (first shown), I'd recommend replacing the hose barbs with MFL fittings. That way you can have a set of ball locks with the flare fittings that you can just unscrew your hoses from the sanke connection and screw on the ball locks.

Good luck.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
Ki-ri-n

Recipes 

Are there FML fittings like that? I'm trying to avoid undoing any lines. Is like to just plug my ball locks right to a sankey coupled somehow-is that possible with using that 1st coupled?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Not sure what the inlet thread size is on that low profile, but one of these ball lock post adapters might work. You screw it into the body, then screw a ball lock post onto the other end.
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...&cPath=1_3_260

There are a variety of other options you could do if you wanted to come off the barbs with a piece of hose first, then use just about any threaded adapter combo which works.

Edit: Yup - Somebody did it with the Perlick low profile, and included a complete parts list. Looks like the inlet to the coupler is 17/16-20, and there isn't a direct coupler that I saw for that size... assuming it's correct.
http://troyandgay.com/2012/05/18/san...ap-conversion/

Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
suorangeguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/181/=kurkgk

Part# 50715K161

This is the stainless adapter from the 1/8 NPT to MFL. The barbs unscrew and you replace them with these. Use a bit of teflon tape. It worked perfect for me. Same coupler. You will need to use a couple flared nylon washers when you connect the gas and liquid lines to make sure they don't leak.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I've never been able to find a part breakdown on the 1st coupler the perlick 40030. The larger barb on the left in your picture is the gas in and has a built in check valve. Replacing that with a mfl would eliminate the check valve. I think if you already have a check valve inline between your regulator and coupler you could do without it. A second opinion would be nice.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Ki-ri-n

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelipen View Post
Edit: Yup - Somebody did it with the Perlick low profile, and included a complete parts list. Looks like the inlet to the coupler is 17/16-20, and there isn't a direct coupler that I saw for that size... assuming it's correct.
http://troyandgay.com/2012/05/18/san...ap-conversion/
Thanks pelipen! That link really helps! I'll have to try some 90's instead of the straights if Im going to have any chance of it fitting a 1/6 keg. At least I won't have a $60 paper weight!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Ki-ri-n

Recipes 

Finally got my fittings The whole thing only sits 1.75 above the keg and is only 5" wide. Well within the rim of the keg.
McMaster # for the 90's is 50715k181.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is pretty awesome. I am thinking about doing the same thing. I currently have the same tap serving sixtels out of my fridge but I don't have a good way to clean. So I was looking at my options and I think converting the tap would be the easiest and use of my my small cornys to clean the system. Otherwise I'd have to spend on something else that has a single use cleaning. This would allow me easily serve sixtels and cornys at home (not that I've ever hooked up one of my cornys).

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply