Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sankey Coupler Clearance Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
dandw12786
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Sankey Coupler Clearance Question

Hi all,

I've got a kegerator that I typically have two cornies and a 5# CO2 tank in, and am looking to get a little setup going to be able to get a 1/6bbl keg of commercial beer when i'm out of homebrew (these winter months make it a bit tough to brew outside...). I've searched the forums, and know I'm not the first person to do this, but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm wondering how far the standard Sanke Coupler sticks out above the keg? My kegerator measures 29", so if it fits, it'll be tight, but i'm wondering if it's doable.

I'm aware of the low clearance couplers, but they're more expensive right off the bat, and converting them to be able to hook to my pin lock connections (I can't seem to find anyone that's hooked them up to quick disconnects) is way more expensive than converting the standard taps.

Anyone have a Sanke Coupler they can measure? Thanks!

Disagreement Brewing

Primary: American Wheat

Conditioning: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde

Ready to drink: Biscuits and Honey Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-quest...le-aid-11.html

Looks like you can put an elbow on the coupler and get it down to 28." It would be tight but you could fit it in.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

29" is plenty of room, but you'll want either an elbow like shown in the link above, or a 90° tailpiece to prevent the lines from kinking.

Just out of curiosity, why would converting a low profile coupler to connect to your corny set-up be any more expensive than with a regular coupler? If you use the MFL fittings to switch like many people do, you'd need fewer fittings, and the ones you'd need would actually be cheaper.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

You could also try the perlick 40030

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft..._coupler.shtml

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
dandw12786
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would converting a low profile coupler to connect to your corny set-up be any more expensive than with a regular coupler? If you use the MFL fittings to switch like many people do, you'd need fewer fittings, and the ones you'd need would actually be cheaper.
The low profile couplers start at around $55, where the regular ones are $25-$30. The MFL thread fittings for standard couplers are around $5 bucks each, putting the total at $35-$40, cheaper than the low profile coupler starts at.

The only threads I could find regarding converting a low profile coupler only had people putting ball lock disconnects directly onto the coupler, which required 3 or 4 fittings on each side, eventually bringing the total for the conversion upwards of $100.

For what it's worth, after a few more hours of searching, I did stumble on a thread with part #s from McMaster-Carr that should allow me to connect my quick disconnect hoses directly to the coupler with one fitting on each side, so I went with the low profile coupler to save a bit of room. Hopefully the part numbers were right!

Disagreement Brewing

Primary: American Wheat

Conditioning: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde

Ready to drink: Biscuits and Honey Amber Ale

Quick Reply