Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sankey coupler attachment = CRAZY Foam... HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
lucasszy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sankey coupler attachment = CRAZY Foam... HELP!!!

So im corbonating 15 gallons of Rye IPA in a Sanke (D series) keg.

Figured out how to remove the spear, reinstall the spear. everything works fine.

NOW here is my problem.... When I add carbonation to the keg (30 PSI) to fast carb the beer, and I remove the coupler, reattaching the coupler becomes a nightmare. The moment I try and twist the coupler to lock it in place, beer shoots out between the spear and coupler, spraying me, the ceiling, and wasting a ton of beer.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the coupler have an adjustment that I dont know about? Something about raising or lowering the internal "pin" so its not installing depressing the ball valve in the spear?

its so frustrating that I am about to give up on using the sakey kegs for bulk carbonation!

Thanks All!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

From what I recall about sankey kegs, you always get a little spray when you first put on the coupler. I'm guessing it's just greatly amplified in your case because the keg has 30psi in it to push that spray out further and much faster, plus the added pressure means it's harder to get the coupler seated quickly.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I just tapped a sankey this weekend and there was indeed the tiniest bit of spray as I spun the coupler down. Sorry for asking a potentially dumb question, but obviously you're waiting to put the lever down until the coupler's completely seated, right?

Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Yeah, I got a beer shower this afternoon, from like 4 month old over-oxygenated bad beer. Accidentally pushed down on the coupler before I started twisting it. If you just rest it in place, then start twisting, it should seat itself with a bare minimum of leakage.

Quick Reply