The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sanke keg spear question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
SS_Brewing_Co
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer

Been doing it for years without a "keg tool" without issue...small sharp screwdriver for removal, small pliers or channel locks for installation.
That's great. I also use a small screw driver and pliers. I just ran across that the other day and thought it was a neat little tool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Brewing_Co View Post
St pats has a specialty "keg tool". It looks pretty look but it's almost 100 bucks
I made one of those since I'm too cheap to spend $100 for something like that. I rarely use it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Hmmmm I had read that the first few ounces are trub then it runs clear using the spear and the CO2? This is a 10 gallon batch of blackberry wheat with 5lbs of picked then frozen and pureed and poured into the primary after about 2 weeks of primary fermentation. SO will it work or will trub be a problem? I don't have a racking cane that long (yet).
I use the standard spear without any issues, but I've also never tried it with that much fruit. I do have two spears that I trimmed a little, but have found that even with the full length spear there's hardly any trub past the first couple ounces. Just transferred 14 gal of apfelwein out of a 1/2bbl sankey the other day, and the yeast cake was so compact after cold crashing that I didn't suck up any trub at all.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I made one of those since I'm too cheap to spend $100 for something like that. I rarely use it though.

I use the standard spear without any issues, but I've also never tried it with that much fruit. I do have two spears that I trimmed a little, but have found that even with the full length spear there's hardly any trub past the first couple ounces. Just transferred 14 gal of apfelwein out of a 1/2bbl sankey the other day, and the yeast cake was so compact after cold crashing that I didn't suck up any trub at all.
Apfelwine has almost zero yeast cake and no trub at all...I hate to think of what is at the bottom of that keg w/ 5 lbs of blackberries OMG...rack carefully young man or keep a few diapers handy for the first gallon or so...cheers!

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Obviously it adds to cost, but I use this:

http://www.brewershardware.com/Ameri...hermowell.html

I can transfer under pressure by keeping an MFL fitting on the end of my blowoff tube that connects to a CO2 line, and then can set the height of the racking cane just about trub level for a clean transfer.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #15
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
Obviously it adds to cost, but I use this:

http://www.brewershardware.com/Ameri...hermowell.html

I can transfer under pressure by keeping an MFL fitting on the end of my blowoff tube that connects to a CO2 line, and then can set the height of the racking cane just about trub level for a clean transfer.
So do I - I LOVE it.
It almost feels like cheating.

However, a racking cane through the carboy cap tube will effectively serve the same purpose.

Lower the racking cane into the fermenter and start the transfer under very little pressure. Lower the racking cane until you see the beer line go cloudy - Then raise about 1/8" or so. You'll get clear beer till the end.
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #16
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

For those of you that can easily get that spring do dad back in to hold the spear all I can is HOW? WTF! I tried and tried but couldn't do it grrrr so I finally just gave up and used the old syphon. Wasn't too bad. Amazingly it was easier than I thought to clean it out after.

Gonna have to get a racking cane and try it with the carbon cap for next time.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #17
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor
For those of you that can easily get that spring do dad back in to hold the spear all I can is HOW? WTF! I tried and tried but couldn't do it grrrr so I finally just gave up and used the old syphon. Wasn't too bad. Amazingly it was easier than I thought to clean it out after.

Spread the spiral ring apart and get the tail end started by hand, you should be able to get the bottom half in place easily. Once the spiral starts overlapping itself you'll need to start squeezing it in place with a pair of pliers, one jaw on the spiral ring, and one jaw on the outside of the neck. Work your way around until it's fully seated. I'm not sure how else to explain it. Maybe I can try taking a picture for you.

Edit: here's a decent video showing how it's done-

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I tried it just like that but it kept slipping out maybe I bent it getting it out in the first place? Either way it's more of a PITA than its worth. Thanks for all the help tho.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
I tried it just like that but it kept slipping out maybe I bent it getting it out in the first place? Either way it's more of a PITA than its worth. Thanks for all the help tho.
If you bent the spiral ring, reinstallation can be near impossible.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
Catmandu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Spiral Ring

Quote:

If it's any consolation, I, too, cannot seem to figure out how to replace the spiral ring. I've read the techniques and watched the videos, but still cannot get the ring in place.

Quick Reply