Sanke Keg and Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noty

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to put gelatin in a sanke keg after the beer was carbonated? I've cold crashed my beer for over 5 days now and it's still cloudy. I attached a pic.

2014-11-12_17-18-30_332.jpg

Yes, it works great. If you haven't cut your diptube, all that yeast that is dropping out is collecting at the bottom and being sucked up. Usually takes 3-6 pints to clear depending on how much yeast was in suspension before you put it in the keg.

im new to this, why cut the diptube and how much would you cut?

Cutting the dip tube allows for the yeast to settle on the bottom of the keg and your pours to come our clearer faster. I bought a keg with a cut dip tube but the guy cut off a good 2.5" instead of his purported 1/2". The result was when my keg supposedly kicked, I dumped out at least 4 pints of beer. So my recommendation is to cut off 1/2" if you want to or just deal with the first couple pours being cloudy. After you use finings, you should see some decent clarity providing the beer itself was meant to be clear. If it's a whit or something, I wouldn't expect it to be clear depending upon your recipe.

I haven't used gelatin yet but I will be with my next racking. Good luck.

Cool thanks

I haven't brewed in a long time but had the chance to get some kegs and had a lot of the other things.

I've got a kit brew in the carboy clearing hut it doesn't seem to be so I'm trying to figure out how to prep it to keg too,then I'll run the lines and set it up in the beer fridge.

I've never heard of gelatin in beer, I'll Google it. Any ideas on how to get this kit to clear? It's been sitting for 20 days anyway at room temp in the carboy.

I guess my question was how did you go about getting the gelatin in the keg after it was already carbonated?

I guess my question was how did you go about getting the gelatin in the keg after it was already carbonated?

With a corny, just relieve the pressure and open the top, dump and forget. FYI, I would recommend chilling your secondary to near-freezing and then adding the gelatin to that. Rack the clear beer off the secondary to avoid the need to cut the tube in your keg.

If I was working with a corny keg that would be great, but I'm working with a sankey keg which is a pain. As far as it clearing on it's own I'm really starting to worry. It's cold crashed now for almost two weeks and still no real difference. I really think wild yeast got involved because I wasn't able to have a good cold break and had to pinch the yeast the next day. I feel like this is a permanent haze. I guess time will tell.

You can toss gelatin into the sankey, but your first pint or two will be clouds after the gelatin has cleared it all up. Don't cut ur spear. Use gelatin in ur sankey this time, but remember that gelatin in the secondary is easier. I bet ur beer is just fine :)

Latest posts

Back