New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sanke keg further revealed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #31
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
I actually have grown to like the spiral rings in that they are compressing the large o-ring upon installation. Not sure a regular snap ring will compress the o-ring seal as well.
Thanks for the tips on the spiral ring - sounds like a good technique.

The snap ring is just as thick as the spiral ring, and it compresses the seal just fine. As a result, it takes a little effort to get the snap ring seated correctly. Even so, I find it far easier to use than the spiral ring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #32
TheGAC
Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
I also struggled w/ the installation of the spiral sanke rings. The method that I've finally become skilled at works well for me and I will share. All that is needed is a small pair of channel lock pliers (say 6"0). A regular pair of pliers would probably also work but the offset working angle of the channel locks helps.

All you do is get the spiral ring started by hand which is usually close to 1 revolution. The point at which it becomes difficult is when the spiral ring is doubled in the retaining groove. Position the remaining free end of the ring inside the neck of the keg adjacent to the retaining groove.

Begin forcing the ring in the groove w/ the pliers by squeezing between the snap ring and the outside neck of the keg, well behind the unseated portion . Slowly proceed around the keg neck w/ the pliers and the ring will spiral into the groove.

Only move the pliers 1/8 - 1/4" w/ every compression. If the ring seats in the groove, great, move forward and squeeze again. If the ring is stubborn, back up and make sure the preceeding portion is full seated!

W/ a little practice it's a 30 second job.

I actually have grown to like the spiral rings in that they are compressing the large o-ring upon installation. Not sure a regular snap ring will compress the o-ring seal as well.

Good luck, it's tricky at first but will become easy.

Mike
I do the same type of thing, I just take the metal end of a screw driver and slide it around in a circle, and it pushes the ring back in. If I have one thats fighting me a little bit, I just pull out the hammer and tap it on the back end of the screw driver to nudge the ring back in.

The first one was a PITA, but once I got the hang of it (I had 5 kegs to practice on all at once), it became a 10 second job. I like the spiral rings now.

They should replace the coffee at work with a good ol' Oatmeal Stout... At least then I'd be to work on time.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #33
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Oh I've used the hammer a bit, a bit too much during the early stages of sanke training.

Once you've got the technique I'm sure it works fine. I must admit as a noob I got a little aggressive w/ the hammer and slightly dinged the precious mechanicals. I try to stay away from the hammer in that if I begin to struggle, I just reach for the bigger hammer and then bad things happen.

I'm gonna have to try just sliding the srewdriver around the inside of the ring, sounds easy enough, thanks.

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 03-18-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #34
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you were able to make a corney top with a sanke adapter on it, this is something that i personally would be very interested in... Does anybody make them, because i have defiantly seen them at a few microbreweries, and would love to get my hand on them.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #35
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Oh I forgot...one more tip on the sanke spiral rings. Be careful removing them, if they become deformed or stretched like the one in Yuri's photo on the previous page, replace it asap. Even slightly deformed they can be stubborn as heLL on installation. The snap ring is probably a little stronger in this regard.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #36
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordWhite
If you were able to make a corney top with a sanke adapter on it, this is something that i personally would be very interested in... Does anybody make them, because i have defiantly seen them at a few microbreweries, and would love to get my hand on them.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46691

Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #37
ClutchDude
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok. I've got a snap ring that fits pretty well. However when the O-Ring on the spear is put on, I just can't compress the spear enough to get the snap ring in. Are my puny arms not strong enough to compress it?

Landed In Texas.
Primary 1: Blonde?(9/14/2013)
Primary 2: Empty
Sanke madness!
Sanke Spiral Ring Installing, Sanke Coupler diassembly, Keggle Heatshield, Sanke fitting to Soda kegs

Old 04-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #38
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordWhite
I bought some of these from Irregularpulse.

I pulled the rubber cap off one of original carney taps and all it looks like is they sealed them with some epoxy and capped them. Going to clean them up this weekend. Still need to get the tap and CO2 .No more bottles

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #39
happytappy@speednetllc.co
Recipes 

I would like a bit more information on pulling out the hard rubber seal.
Thanks,

MOD EDIT: don't quote a whole series of pictures - it only clutters the thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #40
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I simply pulled the seal out. With a little effort, pulling straight out, it separated from the spear. I can't really describe it any better than that.

Quick Reply