Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sanitizing/cleaning old beer bottles before using them again.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #1
TwistedKiltBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing/cleaning old beer bottles before using them again.

So i am wondering and polling all the other home brewers out there. How do you guys sanitize or get the old beer smell and taste out of the bottles? A buddy of mine usually sets them in water for like 3 or 4 days, what do you guys think?

IMB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Logger1
Recipes 

Hot water and pbw soak(over night) if they are real dirty if they arent real dirty ill soak them in hot soapy water.then ill give them a good hot water rinse then star san sanitizer before filling

Old 05-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If you don't have PBW, buy some Oxiclean and use it for the overnight hot water soak. (Then rinse a few times and do a Star San soak for a couple/few minutes.)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
SamHain
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have just been using a Star San soak overnight thne I use a bottle jet to rinse for a few seconds.

Really I think rinsing out the bottles right after use,storing upside down,jet wash and sanitizing before filling is plenty.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
TwistedKiltBrewing
Recipes 

awesome thanks for the info, will use it when i bottle my Dead Lake Amber, this week. thanks fellow brewers

Old 05-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Next time rinse the bottles really well right after drinking. Then no need to clean, all you'll need to do is rinse them with star san before bottling.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Blackmuse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Next time rinse the bottles really well right after drinking. Then no need to clean, all you'll need to do is rinse them with star san before bottling.
I do this every time I crack and pour a bottle - even at guests house where I bring my brew - and I have not noticed a beer smell in any of my bottles.

I just rinse the yeast out with hot water (right away) and set on the counter for later cleaning (dish soap and water/2-3 rinses). Then I let drip dry and store in 12 pack boxes upside down till bottling day when I sanitize with iodophor...

Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmuse View Post
I do this every time I crack and pour a bottle - even at guests house where I bring my brew - and I have not noticed a beer smell in any of my bottles.

I just rinse the yeast out with hot water (right away) and set on the counter for later cleaning (dish soap and water/2-3 rinses). Then I let drip dry and store in 12 pack boxes upside down till bottling day when I sanitize with iodophor...
I don't even do the soap/water/drip dry routine! The key is rinsing them within an hour or two after drinking, using hot water, and filling them maybe 1/4 of the way then shaking really hard to get all the yeast out. I don't store them upside down, and when I bottle weeks or even months later they still look and smell absolutely clean. A quick Star San rinse and they're good to go.

I hate bottling as much as the next guy, but I feel like a lot of people make it so much more tedious than it needs to be with their unnecessary cleaning procedures. I see all these posts where somebody's like "Yeah I rinse bottles after drinking, then soak them in PBW, then rinse them, then use dish soap, then put them through the dishwasher, then star san right before filling" etc. Waste of time, resources, hot water, and chemicals if you ask me.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I don't even do the soap/water/drip dry routine! The key is rinsing them within an hour or two after drinking, using hot water, and filling them maybe 1/4 of the way then shaking really hard to get all the yeast out. I don't store them upside down, and when I bottle weeks or even months later they still look and smell absolutely clean. A quick Star San rinse and they're good to go.

I hate bottling as much as the next guy, but I feel like a lot of people make it so much more tedious than it needs to be with their unnecessary cleaning procedures. I see all these posts where somebody's like "Yeah I rinse bottles after drinking, then soak them in PBW, then rinse them, then use dish soap, then put them through the dishwasher, then star san right before filling" etc. Waste of time, resources, hot water, and chemicals if you ask me.
The only time I do any sort of Oxy soak is to remove labels or if the bottles are not ones I have used before.

bosco

Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
The only time I do any sort of Oxy soak is to remove labels or if the bottles are not ones I have used before.

bosco
+1, I should have said this in my post. Oxy or PBW to do the initial cleaning and label removal. After that, just need to rinse after pouring and put it in the "too be Star San'd" bucket.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Quick Reply