Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Sanitizing bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 AM   #1
STUNTx2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sanitizing bottles

Not sure wether this question belongs here or in sanitizing, but as it pertains to my bottling procedure I thought I would try here first.

How long can I wait after sanitizing my bottles before I actually bottle my beer? I use an iodine sanitizer, can't think of the name of the top of my head, that says it needs to drain and then air dry. Does this mean air dry for a few minutes, hours or overnight? If I store them upside down will this prevent any nasties from contaminating my bottles? Also how do I let the caps dry with out contaminating them either by the surface I lay them on, or by exposing the inside to anything that might fall out of the sky. It's times like these I wish I owned a dishwasher.

Thanks for your input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Flipper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNTx2
Not sure wether this question belongs here or in sanitizing, but as it pertains to my bottling procedure I thought I would try here first.

How long can I wait after sanitizing my bottles before I actually bottle my beer? I use an iodine sanitizer, can't think of the name of the top of my head, that says it needs to drain and then air dry. Does this mean air dry for a few minutes, hours or overnight? If I store them upside down will this prevent any nasties from contaminating my bottles? Also how do I let the caps dry with out contaminating them either by the surface I lay them on, or by exposing the inside to anything that might fall out of the sky. It's times like these I wish I owned a dishwasher.

Thanks for your input.
I store my bottles upside down after they are cleaned. When I get ready to bottle, then I sanitize them as well as the caps. I dont let my caps dry and when using the iodine sanitizer, you can sanitize and bottle right away.

Primary - Fat Tire Clone
Secondary - Hop Rod Rye Clone
Bottled - Mack and Jack's Clone
Drinking - West Coast Blonde Ale

Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
STUNTx2
Recipes 

That's kind of what I've done in the past. Just let the bottle drain, turn em over and fill. Give the cap a good shake and clamp it on. My question is more of if I wanted to let things sit overnight, or even just for a few hours would my bottles still be sanitized if they where stored upside down? Washing, Sanitizing, Racking, Priming, and Filling all in one session can be a little time consuming for me and I am looking for a way to break up the process a little bit.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

a few hours upside down will be ok. you can use an empty dishwasher rack to store them, or a bottling tree.

I myself use star-san to sanitize because its no rinse and you do not have to wait for it to dry.
i'm told a little too much iodiphor residue can be tasted in beer, but star-san lends no off flavors. (i've even tasted star-san so I'd know what the off flavor would taste like).

nothing wrong with iodiphor/iodine sanitizers....but I think if you tried star-san, you'd be forever hooked. it stays active for weeks instead of a couple days like iodine, it won't stain anything like plastic buckets or carpet if you drop the bottle.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply