Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Safe level to carb glass bottles??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Safe level to carb glass bottles??

I thought I would ask here because, well, you never know who's giving answers on the newbie section unless you know them.

I designed a Bavarian Hefeweizen and according to "Brewing Classic Styles" winners in this category are usually carbonated 3.6-5.1 vol. I primed to 4.0 volumes (it worked out to two cups corn sugar to my 4.75 gallons). On the Beginner's forum everyone is saying I'll have bottle bombs, but it isn't any of the regulars like Revvy and if the winners of the nationals went to five volumes what did they bottle in? I am confused. You think I'll be alright?

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You'd have to bottle in bottles designed to withstand that kind of pressure, for instance the 11.2 oz Belgian bottles.
4.0 in regular longnecks would make me very nervous, especially when being shipped in hot, bumpy trucks.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AHH Sh*t! I guess it is just keep them in a box at this point and pray. If one goes off I'll recap. How do you cork those Belgian bottles, or can you get them that use crown caps? I don't want the really big ones. I never drink that much at one time before it gets warm, plus my fridge won't let them sit upright.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

4 Volumes is about the very limit of what I would consider in a standard bottle, you might be OK.

Belgian bottles are typically good to 6 or so, the ones with the champagne style corks.

Quick Reply