The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > running tubbing to a draft tower

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
monk420
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default running tubbing to a draft tower

I need to run 20' of line from my basment up to my bar to wear the draft tower is. I'm using a double-faucet tower at my bar. from there i want to run the lines into the basment then over 15' to were the fridg is. Is there a problem with doing this. I was going to wrap the tubing in foam insulation like a noodle for a pool but made for plumbing pipes to help keep them cool. I don't want to start this project and have a bunch of problems thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's a challenging project for sure. You'll want to use thinwall 1/4" ID polyethylene tubing for the beer and run some 1/4" OD copper lines as a coolant loop. That whole bundle will have to be well insulated as you've mentioned. You'd want to run a pump inside a keg full of water to feed the copper line up to the tower and back. There are a few folks who have tackled similar projects here but I don't know of any that have done 20-25 feet of run. It may turn out that coolant at beer temp isn't cold enough.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
monk420
Recipes 

i could move my fridge in the b-ment and cut it down to about a 10' run straight up

Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
AmmoHouse
Recipes 

It has to be possible.
I was at a Hotel in Baltimore and their kegs are approx. 30yds away in a cooler and the lines run in a insulated tube to the bar...yes I saw it with my own eyes.
I'm a noob at kegging but to me that was very impressive.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Of course it's possible. Tons of bars do this. It's just a matter of running glycol lines down the trunk to keep everything cool or dumping the first 12 oz of beer before the first pour every day.

In a short, straight run, folks have had success running the lines through an air duct fed by a fan in the kegerator. If it had to make a lot of turns, it's probably best to go with liquid cooling fed by a pond pump.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply