The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Running infected beer through my lines

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
DougBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Running infected beer through my lines

Hey guys, I recently had to dump two batches after I found out that my laziness and ambivalence towards siphon hoses had caught up to me. In both cases, I didn't discover I had an infection until I drew the first pint. I've already run 2-3 gallons of star san through my lines, but I'm getting paranoid and DO NOT (for the love of the beer gods) want to dump another batch. Should I just go ahead and replace my beer lines and QD's, is my sanitation regimin satisfactory, or should I do something else?

P.S. For the record, the infection is of the seriously phenol/Band-aid type flavor variety... I don't know if that's pertinent info or not. Thanks for all your help and thoughts!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

They are cheap enough to simply replace IMO, though I've had good luck runing various cleaners through mine. I don't have an LHBS nearby, so for me it was easier to soak overnight in PBW and follow with a vinegar rinse. Then hot water and finally starsan. Then I replaced as soon as I could.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Take the disconnects apart to clean them, soak all those parts in beer line cleaner or hot oxyclean, then rinse, then starsan, I'd ditch the lines. How about your CO2 lines, could there be something nasty in those?
-Ben

Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
DougBrew
Recipes 

Yea, I'm pretty much resigned to replacing the liquid out line and possibly the QD's. I'm not exactly sure how to disassemble QD's though. Anyone have thoughts on this?

As far as the CO2 line, I feel safe about it, but I'm not sure. There hasn't been any liquid in it as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure if liquid is a necessary or sufficient requirement for infection. Should I replace them too?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is a screwdriver slot in the top. Inside is a spring, a valve and washer. It's real simple. You could always flush the gas side lines with starsan, let it soak, then purge with co2. If some beer backed into the lines at some point, there could be nasties in there.
Hopefully you have also disassembled the keg posts and dip tubes to clean them?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
DougBrew
Recipes 

Yah, everything else has been disassembled and sanitized with impunity. I think I might just replace the liquid line, both disconnects, and sanitize the gas line just to be safe. Thanks for the help and advice, guys. I really appreciate it!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

BLC - Beer Line Cleaner

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply